*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Ryzen R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Apr 7, 2021.

1. DeeGamer

DeeGamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya 107 is a problem most likely paste job.

2. mrzzz

mrzzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anybody with r5 having issues with left control also triggering last used fn+function key? On fresh boot for example, pressing left control triggers fn+f1, turning fans on full.

3. DeeGamer

DeeGamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No

4. Jimster480

Jimster480 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea, I hope that the dell tech will repaste it when they put on the new cooler. I will ask them to use my Thermalright TF8 instead of whatever useless paste will come in the box of the "new cooler".

5. Jimster480

Reputations:
    So my unit is repasted now and running quite cool. Min temp on the CPU now is 31.5C
    upload_2021-6-29_20-52-11.png

I was still able to make it throttle with yCruncher 1B pi calculation using the default balanced profile.... but this is the fault of the garbage balanced profile that literally didn't ramp the fans up until 98C.... The average temp while using the laptop is now in the THIRTIES (as evidenced in the "average") and this is without even using Ryzen Controller!

I have yet to push it hard with the dGPU but based on this performance I think we will be fine. Before the repaste the "idle temp" of the laptop was like 58C and average temp while using it was around 70-80C.

etern4l and Kalen like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Why is idle temp so important? Remember the model have unified heatsink. This means heat will be balanced between the Cpu and Gpu cooling capacity. Put full load on both Cpu and Gpu will push the cooling to the limits. With yCruncher running you use the cooling headroom intended for the GPU.

etern4l and Darkhan like this.
  7. Jimster480

Reputations:
    Yes but no, the CPU fan ramps first before the GPU fan moves. Before my score in yCruncher was worse by almost 4 seconds on the 512M calculate. Also the temps hit 107C originally and dropped to nothing...
    This time with my tuned fan profile (not the default that doesn't even ramp the fan until 95C) the CPU sat at 88C after peaking at 94c. So having 32 sec vs 36 sec is ~10% more performance at almost 20C less temp....

etern4l and Kalen like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yep, but how will this translate into full load hours forwards? This is more important than idle temp or temp spikes on the Cpu before it cools down again.

etern4l and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  9. Jimster480

Reputations:
    In my years of PC building, testing and overclocking.... few things bring the CPU temps higher than yCruncher. Therefore if it can survive a 1G calculation hitting only 88C then it likely won't go much higher under any other sustained load. Also very few things actually hit 16 CPU threads with complex instruction extensions the way yCruncher does.

Kalen likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yep, but you tax only the CPU. With more cores people do more task simultaneous on the CPu while they gaming. The reason we have got more cores nowadays. You won't be able to steal cooling headroom from the GPU cooling if it run at full bore together with the Cpu.