*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Ryzen R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Apr 7, 2021.

1. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I said it during the announce, I’ll say it again. The r5/r6 are G series rebrands. The G series has never had good temps out of the box. If you’re experienced in repasting, you can probably get it under control but you should not have to do it on an expensive machine like this. Get yourself an outlet m15r4 if you can live with soldered Ram if you want an AW since someone managed to even get the 165W VBIOS working on it.

Besides, as someone who has owned the highest possible config of both intel 10th gen (i9 + 165W 3080) and Ryzen (5900Hx + 165W 3080), for gaming the i9 is just as good as the 5900HX if not better

2. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To be honest, I expect Alienware to run hot. My 14, 17, 15 R2 and 15 R3 all ran in the 90s up to 100 out of the box; all needed repasting. This is just Alienware in general. Perhaps with "Element 31" they will have temps under control but honestly, I just come to expect that I will see that dry, crusty toothpaste with anything else.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Jimster480 and Papusan like this.
  3. mehtenj94

mehtenj94 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Agree that they normally do run hot. It’s one thing If it runs hot and sustains above average performance .look at the m17r3/4 reviews from notebook check, while the i9 runs hot, it actually performs better than most other machines with the same processor. But the newer r5s don’t even deliver great performance while reaching very high temps.

Im okay to pay a premium for great build quality and great performance even if it comes at the cost of temps. AW used to do that, but there are better options on the block now.

4. CaptES

CaptES Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking for some help with doing the vbios flash on my M15 R5 3070. I used NVFLASH and was successful in creating a backup and then flashing the R4 vbios and it seemed to be working great. The only issue that I have is the DisplayPort no longer is working. I have re-flashed to the original vbios and it is working again. Just wondering if anyone else that has done the flash has had this issue or if there is a workaround.

5. mrzzz

mrzzz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, flashing the 140w vbios buggers the displayport options, hdmi works though

6. Jimster480

Jimster480 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine also has a mux switch. I have the QHD model.
    My battery life was still horrible as it lost 50% in 2 hours while not even using the screen (plugged into a dock) and basically sitting at a static webpage.
    Dell is going to come out next week to "repair" it. Let's see what they do to fix it. If they are going to change the cooler on it then I will ask them to repaste it with TFX when they do that.

7. DeeGamer

DeeGamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So guys I also experienced the low FPS bug. Seems like the laptop gets too hot and something is kicking in lower the GPU clock speeds. So many issues with this laptop. My temps are not as bad as you guys but still in the mid to high 90's. Torn love the screen al keyboard(mechanical). I just use Ryzen controller and limit temps to 85. This has solved the problem for me.

8. Jimster480

Reputations:
    Whack the fan to max and use Ryzen controller. Or Contact Dell and ask them to replace the cooler. They are coming to do mine and I will ask them to put it back together with my paste. the fans at max make it never happen otherwise the GPU crashes out after about 10 minutes where it gets limited to 450ish mhz (35W) and crap FPS dominates lol

9. DeeGamer

DeeGamer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ya I have fans at max. replace the cooler ha will be the same.

10. Jimster480

Reputations:
    It is fine as long as it gets repasted. Mine hits 107C max on the CPU and they said that this is "abnormal" personally I think it is just horrible thermal paste. The other thread where someone explains how to re-paste the laptop; it is clear that there is a ton of paste and it is very low quality. Too much paste = lower thermals, bad paste = poor thermals. So.... I have great hope after seeing the results in that thread.