*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Ryzen R5 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like the laptop should have been fitted with a vapour chamber like the R4...

Jimster480 and Kalen like this.
  3. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Question for you guys that have bought a few of these machines. I always buy laptops with low storage sizes to save money. I end up with alot of left over lower capacity drives. Dell seems to configure their m.2 drives in raid 0 i believe. When i physically separate them and have tried to use them as external storage it never fails that some of them end up unusable. It even goes so far as to make the drive cause quasi system hangs until i physically pull the drive. Is this just me or has anyone else experienced this? If so have you had any success recovering the drive? Thanks guys.

4. Jimster480

Jimster480 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just signed up here. Wanted some info on this laptop; I have the 5800H + 3070 + QHD screen. The thermals are HORRIBLE. I tried to tune it with the Alienware system but no luck. Only playing with the fans on max works for keeping the system under control. Otherwise the GPU seems to shut off after about 10 minutes (speeds go to around 345-625mhz & wattage to 30W) after the GPU core temp hits ~86C. My guess is that the GPU has some internal limiter that causes it to go into some safe mode. The only way to get it to clock up again is to close the game and make the GPU turn off after going back to iGPU and then start the game again. With Ryzen Controller + Max fan speed it works but the laptop sounds like a jet engine and the CPU temps still max out @ my Ryzen Controller max temp of 91C even with 35W max "long term boost" wattage...

Any ideas or should I contact dell about this? I saw some other people complain about the temps and the CPU hitting a max of 101C out of the box but mine was much worse.... Out of the box my CPU hit 107.8C in Overwatch.... that wasn't with max fan speed but with the default profile (there are only 2 profiles on this laptop while the M17 R4 I had before had 4 fan profiles).

etern4l likes this.
  5. Jimster480

Reputations:
    On my 3070 QHD unit I get around 130fps with my Cold War settings... I don't play warzone but when I did last time I got around the same FPS in Warzone as I did in cold war.... certain parts of warzone had around 10fps lower.
    Mine are a mixture of high settings with certain things turned off to keep the framerate stable during special effects (like explosion shadows turned down).

6. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    Your 3070 won't throttle that low even at those temps. What you are experiencing seems to be a bug in the r5. It causes the gpu to lock at 30 fps or 60 or 70. Just apparently whatever it feels like. When it happens to me i alt tab to desktop and reset the display by selecting screen 1. Seems to always fix the issue. I can tell you that a liquid metal repaste will do quite a bit to help with the heat but it will still routinely hit high 90s in very intensive situations on the cpu. But it doesn't throttle and the 5800 and 5900 hx are awesome performance wise. The plastic build and the buggyness of the system has made me buy an m15r4 to see if it's a better option and it's really no contest. The m15r4 is better but has a weaker cpu in the 10870h. I am going to buy one with a 10980hk and return both of my current laptops. The only thing I miss about the r5 is the awesome screen and battery life. Everything else is better on the r4.

7. Jimster480

Reputations:
    What kind of battery life did you get? My battery life is horrible. I have a ton of laptops though so I don't really need this for battery life. Just coming from a Nitro 5; it doesn't heat up or have problems with battery life.
    I'm not worried about hitting 90C on the CPU in an intensive CPU task as it is a laptop.... I am upset that right now it hits 90c on the CPU at the desktop with firefox open.... talking about 7-10% CPU usage and it just cannot seem to get the heatsink cool once it heats up. When I start it up from 0 it will sit around 50C on the CPU for a while until it eventually reaches around 60c and stays there on the default "balanced" profile. However if I do anything to heat the CPU up to 90C (like play a game) then it will sit near 90C for an hour after I am finished gaming unless I leave the fans at max speed for ~15 minutes to get it back into the 70s. I've just never seen a system with such weird thermal behavior.
    My nitro can hit 90C if I really try to make it go there; otherwise the CPU is hard pressed to pass 80C even in gaming and the fans NEVER hit 100%. The laptop is actually pretty quiet even in playing COD CW.

As far as it "locking at 30fps or 60 or 70" I think that this fps amount is just based on what the GPU can do at the given wattage. For me it always locks the GPU to 30W basically when this happens. It won't pass 30W no matter what I do with it and it seems that with about 30W it can get ~30-40fps in some games and 60-70 in other games (if it is a really light game). The FPS is just a fluke really, I verified it with HWMON.
    Since you don't have the laptop anymore I guess you cannot test it.

I had the M17 R4 that I received for testing (I also work testing product via Amazon Vine) and I can tell you that the 10870H in the M17 was ABOUT the same speed as what I get from the 5800H @ 35W but the CPU has ALOT more trouble staying cool when doing anything. it is very common to see the CPU wattage at 75W just when browsing the web .To the point that the USB-C 65W power input is literally worthless because even with the screen at 60hz I couldn't get the laptop to not eat the battery while web browsing due to the high wattage on the CPU.
    Temps were actually better in general than they have been on the M15 R5 which makes no sense considering that the CPU is using literally 1/2 the power or less most of the time.

8. EepoSaurus

Reputations:
    My r5 has a mux switch so it hits about 6 to 8 hours on light loads. I don't know what to say as far as the issues you are having. Maybe it just gets crazy hot but dell lets these things get insanely hot. I still have the laptop. It doesn't lock to 30w because of heat is my point it does it because of a bug in the vbios likely. The system just seems premature or slapped together. They clearly did not put much effort into it. I think they just wanted to be able to say oh we have an amd laptop too. Then they immediately release an r6 with intels and pretty much stop promoting the r5. I don't blame anyone for returning the alienware m15 r5 but i think it can be a good laptop it just isn't even as good as the previous revision.

9. Kalen

Kalen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think this was a social experiment by Alienware so they can say, "see this is why need to stick with Intel! There have been nothing but problems with AMD! We gave them what they wanted with AMD and user-replaceable RAM, and people have been doing nothing but complaining."
    Meanwhile, if it was given proper engineering development and priority, it had the means to be the perfect system. On paper? It's amazing! In practice for most, it's a hot mess.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Jimster480 likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Dell could spent $10 on Vapor chamber/ or put in better cooling. This isn’t AMDs fault. Purely Dell’s decision to cut costs.

Tenoroon likes this.