*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R6 (11th Gen) Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by iunlock, Aug 20, 2021.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    ALIENWARE (11th Gen Intel) m15 R6:

Review content coming shortly.

The unit that I have is the Intel 11th Gen 11800H with the RTX 3080 and simply put, it's a great system. I have yet to repaste it and have been gathering as much data as I can in its stock form. The nice thing about the R6 is that it can be under-volted, unlike the AMD mobile cousin the R5. This gives the R6 a huge advantage in taming the thermals without further gimping the system by messing with the TCC.

I'm currently running the Ballistix 3200MHz 64GB (32GBx2) kit in my R6 and it is pretty awesome.

[​IMG]

The CherryMX keys on the new Alienware systems are the best chiclet laptop keys I've typed on. It's that good IMO and it blows the msi steel-series out of the water. (I own a msi laptop with the steel-series keys and have many hours with it.)

The 360Hz FHD panel is also blazing fast. For those of you who are FPS gamers you may be able to appreciate the difference.

What I like the most about the m15 R6 is the elegant design language. Having the unique Dark Side of the Moon color really makes it stand out from the rest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Kalen and etern4l like this.
  2. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
  3. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for creating this bro. I've read somewhere that the m15 is now supposed to be the cheap model line aimed at the Chinese market, whereas the x-series is the flagship line, which is ridiculous because the m15 R6 is superior to the x15 R1 in every way that matters.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Kalen and iunlock like this.
  5. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    My pleasure. The m15 R6 IMO is the best in its class overall and it really delivers a lot for the money (even with it being Premium.)

The x15 has its place, but most people who shop in the m15 range will never consider the x15, especially when it lacks so much such as i/o, vapor chamber etc... for the money.

There comes a point, no matter how pretty the shell is, paying a high premium when you have missing features found in a more affordable line doesn't make sense.

The R6 is really good with great thermals once tuned... once I get around to repasting my R6, it'll make it shine even more.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Is there a MUX or Optimus SKU?
    Does this still suffer from the missing second SSD bracket like the R5?

7. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    Yes it has Advanced Optimus and the newer batches may have the 2nd bracket included. My R6 was one of the early ones so I had to order mine separately. A lot of people have had great success just calling into CS to get the bracket sent to them. Here's more details about the 2nd bracket.

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    Cool. It does have a vapour chamber, right? So I guess the only thing missing compared to the x17 is the second TB4 port and perhaps the MUX (I don't personally care). Would be good to see those AIDA memory benchmarks if you or anyone else has a moment.

iunlock likes this.
  9. ninja2000

ninja2000 Mash IT

Reputations:
    Hey iunlock, my m15r6 review unit has arrived and starting prep for the review but I am completely greyed out in throttlestop, how are you undervolting?

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  10. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had an m15 r5 for a while. It had a lot of issues but overall it was not a terrible laptop. I "downgraded" to a m15 r4 and have been extremely happy with it. Having now had both an r5 and r6, how is the build quality of the r6 compared to the r5? I found the chasis to be really creaky and a step down from the r4. Further the cooling of the r5 and r4 leave alot to be desired. I have physically observed the r4, r5 and r3 thermal systems and they are pretty much identical. I never saw a vapor chamber on any of the systems. My r4 has an i9 and i originally bought an r4 with the i7 and the heatsinks are the exact same. Alienware could do alot to enhance the thermals but they really don't seem to care. Lastly, the 1440p screen is great on the r5 and r6, it's terrible that they dont offer it as an option on the 3080 model r6. What is your opinion on some of this? I am considering buying an r6 and comparing it against the r4. Thank you for all you do in this community.

etern4l likes this.