*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R4 / m17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Some users were reporting slow nvme speeds in a previous post. I tested 2 nvme drives in my unit and the speeds definitely seem spot on. Latest bios.

Attached Files:

2. Dbentt

Dbentt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Done tweaking again for now. This is gonna be my 24/7 profile, not looking to break records. Broke 13k which was a personal goal for this configuration.

System Specs:
    Alienware M17 R4
    360hz IPS Display
    Cherry MX Low Profile Mechanical Keyboard
    Intel i7 10870H
    32GB 2933MHz RAM
    nVidia RTX 3080 150+15w
    2x 1TB SK Hynix SSDs in RAID0
    1x 2TB Samsung 970EVO
    Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU
    Phobya Nanogrease on GPU
    Fujipoly Extreme pads on all other components

Benchmarks:
    Cinebench R20: 4202
    (https://i.imgur.com/6PauWDC.png)

Cinebench R23: 10870 (spooky)
    (https://imgur.com/d1B83RG)

TimeSpy: 13131 (14010 GPU, 9688 CPU)
    (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/19793014)

Max CPU Temp: 73C (package)
    (https://imgur.com/YFeejD7)
    Max GPU Temp: 60C
    (https://imgur.com/OozDaW3)

Each bench was run at least 3 times, no reboots in between. Temperatures were recorded after the high scores in the same way, 1 loop of R23 though because I don't have all day. Gaming temperatures should be similar +/- a couple C.

CPU Settings:
    SpeedStep On
    SpeedShift On
    HyperThreading On
    TCC Offset 0
    TPL Off
    VMax On
    Thermal Velocity Boost Off
    Cache Min 39
    Cache Max 42
    Core Offset -135mV
    Cache Offset -135mV

GPU Settings:
    No custom power curve (found it to perform worse)
    Core clock +180MHz
    Memory clock +1200MHz

Overall very pleased with this performance. Silicon lottery was finally nice to me. If I need more juice I have my 5950x + 3090 machine in the other room that I can Steam Link to, but the purpose of this laptop is to provide a mobile gaming and general entertainment platform to stop me from getting too depressed in the hospital and when I'm bedridden so in that capacity it serves perfectly just like its older, chunkier, more temperamental brother did, though this one is much much much more mobile, and noticeably quieter as well which is great when it's right next to your bed.

3. HaloGod2012

Reputations:

For benchmarking I can hit +200/+1400 on the GPU but in games that don't fully stress the GPU it crashes because it boosts too high when not under maximum load. I miss the days of set clocks and no boost tech. So for black ops cold war I have to keep core at +65, for a game like red dead redemption I can run +200 on the core. Very annoying since any de-load on the GPU causes insanely high boost clocks that will cause instability

Normimb and Papusan like this.
  4. altimax98

altimax98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you tried running Cold War with Reflex enabled? Its supposed to lock the boost speeds to prevent spikes.

5. rockelino

rockelino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what brand of SSD comes with the Alienware m15 R4 (buying it at Dell.com)?

6. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Yeah I have reflex boosted enabled and it's still all over the place. Will go from 1850 - 1900mhz loaded to a CPU intense scene that brings down the GPU load, allowing it to boost over 2000mhz

7. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yea but for some reason no one on here will post benchmarks of games. I like Time Spy, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see some benches to see what exactly is going on because multiple reviewers have stated they've had a little over 100 FPS for Shadow of the Tomb Raider so it's not just a single reviewer.

seanwee and Normimb like this.
  8. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most reviewers (including me) show the SoTR benchmark, which is a bit demanding in some sections. That may be why you see lower frame rates shown in reviews vs. real world play in say an open jungle that's easier to render at high frame rates. Why do we use the benchmark in our reviews rather than open world play? Because that way all PCs are running the same test with no variability in content challenge.

We'll be posting our m17 R4 review soon, and will include the benchmark from SoTR. I did some open world play and the frame rates were higher than in the benchmark.

seanwee and Papusan like this.
  9. LVNeptune

LVNeptune Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are misunderstanding. The benchmark in "Very High" for reviewers is showing on the 3080 lower than on my 3070. There is something wrong with how the reviewers are doing it. I shouldn't have a higher FPS in the same benchmark they are running on the 3080.

10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you have the Ray Tracing edition?
    2 versions of this game. One with ray tracing the other one don't.
    SotTR ray tracing.png