*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R4 / m17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The coming Tiger Lake H is having 8 cores same as AMD 5900hx. I believe their performance should be similar this round? The only difference is the thermal and price. There is an advantage about Tiger Lake H - PCIe 4.0 20 lanes, which I hope Alienware will take this advantage for next gen of AGA. It could be the reason why Alienware not jumping to AMD? We will see what gonna happen in Q2.

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    AMD motherboards will also support PCIe 4.0, right?

3. newlich

newlich Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For desktop, Yes. For mobile, I'm not sure...waiting for more details now. Mostly yes but can't guarantee whether there is extra lane allocate for AGA.

4. etern4l

Reputations:
    Well, as we know, AGA is EOL and Dell had zero internal discussions about a new one.

Papusan likes this.
  5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don’t see why they do this soldered stuff and crappy internal design. For once Alienware needs to learn from the XPS team. I like my xps17 way more than all the bga alienwares I’ve had. I can upgrade ram, WiFi, storage and the build is Insane...

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  6. jpowell490

jpowell490 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  7. etern4l

Reputations:
    This is just a real game benchmark to illustrate succesful usage of AMD CPUs,. You started off by trashing AMD graphics cards and segwayed to a claim of poor real world usage of the CPUs. If you meant popularity, AMD hardware is used massively in the consoles for example, but of course it's hard to beat the monopolist. I'm not that excited about AMD graphics cards either, but CPUs are another story - I wouldn't generally mix the two.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on your budget and applications. AMD offers better value, and beats Intel soundly in multithreaded applications. Rememeber: competition is good for us, consumers.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    Lakshya likes this.
  8. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    AMD 5xxx mobiles only support pci-e 3.0. Since the boost isn't huge for GPU, just expect storage to be much slower on the AMD notebooks. That's ok for many given the AMD advantages. For others the 4.0 pcie is important.

AGA is a big question mark. Someone talked with a rep who saw a part # for a V2 AGA, but no stock so it could not be ordered. Vague and who can trust this kind of thing but the fact that they included the port on the R4's is curious. The port would be pointless if discontinued and since you had to order a new mobo to get the 3xxx GPU's why include the AGA port if it was a dead item? However, the mux chip that enables the port directs straight off the CPU which would mean if it got used in Tiger Lake it would be pcie 4 based. If that were true, the cabling might well have to be different to accomodate the higher speed signals. The PSU is also a bit low for what 3xxx desktop GPU's are using on the high end. So there is potential that some updated version of the AGA might be coming but wouldn't be useful until we get to Tiger Lake thus no reason to let it out now. If it does 4.0 x4 speeds that would be x8 equivalent in 3.0 and you'd get pretty effective performance from it, even from 3xxx chips.
    Alternatively remember that the TB port comes direct from the CPU with Tiger Lake so TB boxes used on Alienware's would be pcie 3, but with good direct connect performance. Call it a "make do" if you were determined to figure out a go forward. Someone out there has connected a 51M R2 using TB to a Core X running a 3090. So some kinds of options exist if the AGAv2 or next gen doesn't go live.

etern4l likes this.
  9. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Forgot to mention temps will be on amd side as they draw way less power. Plus battery life is another thing to consider on amd side

10. jpowell490

jpowell490 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have 0 idea where you came up with I was trashing AMD, no I wasn't. I'm stating facts. AMD was never taken seriously. Do you see any major retail computer company using AMD exclusively? Have you ever since the early 2000's? No, they were always the lower end of the spectrum. They fought valiantly for some time in the GPU arena only to be overwhelmed by Nvidia.

AMD was plagued with out of date drivers and just poor craftsmanship. The CPUs could not handle business processing nearly at the speed of Intel. So AMD focused on gaming. Normally that would have been a great idea. Only Intel had the share of the market and annihilated them.

I think it's good that they are still competing, but let's all be honest. They will never be what Intel is. Their latest 5000 series of GPUs is laughable.

Trashing them? It's easy to trash a subpar product and company by simply stating truth.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk