*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R4 / m17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. JasonNH

JasonNH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I put in an order today for the M15 R4, i7-10870H, RTX 3080, and 4k OLED. I spent days debating over the panels, but seeing as I really don't play FPS games I don't think I'll be missing much with the 60hz. Besides, even though these are intended to be plugged in for their main purpose, I still find the idea of getting under 2 hours of battery life browsing the web or watching Netflix a bit distasteful as exhibited on the 300hz panel.

Considering that my last gaming notebook has a GTX 680m, it's been a while so this is exciting. :) Current ETA is 3/2 - 3/5. If it gets here that quickly I'll be pretty impressed.

OCTINY likes this.
  2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In the past 2 years i had 144Hz g-sync, 300Hz 3Ms and samsung OLED on my previous 15. You have made the right choice in my opinion. The 3080Laptop ,even though it's the most powerfull so far, won't be strong enought to let you play games in 4K at 60FPS minimum but......what i did back then and love it...you can create any resolution you want when gaming. I used to play my games at 2K or 3k most of the times and that was a great compromise.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    OCTINY and JasonNH like this.
  3. OCTINY

OCTINY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I saw that one awhile back. I would take any review of any gaming laptops with a grain of salt when it comes to numbers. The only people capable of pushing a gaming laptop to get the best numbers out of them are the people actually buying them, knowing exactly how to use and push them. Without having to follow a strict guideline of review. Tomshardware most definitely is not one of them.

Nevertheless, it's only the beginning. Once the lappy gets in more capable hands, I think the discussion ends there to be frank. Would I have liked a 200w of the 3080? Sure. It would've been great to out it up against my shunt modded 3090 just for ****s and giggles :eek:

I got a few more weeks til I get mine (w/10980HK). Hopefully it ships on time! :mad:

Normimb likes this.
  4. Normimb

Reputations:
    I would of loved a 200W version too. The way i see it the M17R4 is going to be the new flagship of alienware and when my 51MR2 breaks beyond repair in the next 2 years, this will be the replacement they will offer me ;). So i wish it performs much better in games (stock settings) as opposed to Tomshardware results. Can't wait to see real stock results from your benchmark.

OCTINY likes this.
  5. OCTINY

OCTINY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's too bad they will likely never do a R3 for the 51M. Still a slight chance they might though. If not, I expect them to come out w/ a higher end model above the M15/M17 two years down the line to at least bridge the gap in terms of performance/cooling/size, BGA or not. Or that might just be the reboot of the M17 series. Who knows w/ AW :D

Normimb likes this.
  6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sad they release a DTR that isnt really upgradeable beyond the model that it is. Then they continue to release these thing and light machines with soldered ram and wifi. I mean seriously for what use to be THE enthusiast brand has become the everyday run of the mill Apple wannabe of gaming computers. My new XPS17 is more upgradeable than these "gaming" laptops. AW has some soul searching to do. Sadly people keep buying the non upgradeable things so i guess if they are making money from the mass not caring about upgrading then why change it. I do miss the good ole days of the true enthusiast power laptops they use to have.

raz8020, Jammeista, etern4l and 2 others like this.
  7. OCTINY

OCTINY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same thoughts, but then I realize we've reached a point where you can cram a 3090 into a Dan A4 w/ a 5950x on a 645LT, hook up a type c portable monitor, call it a day & have it run laps around a full blown enthusiast laptop. Which was something never dreamed possible back in the day. You win some, you lose some as trends move.

JasonNH likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Probably my post you refer to.... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r4-owners-lounge.835058/page-20#post-11078778

If you read within the numbers you can see your higher FPS from test 1 dropped significant for graphics test 2. Not the same for 2080 Super due it run at lower temp. The drop would be more with hotter card. You know Nvidias boost clocks start drop for each 5C degrees steps below 40C ? Yeah, the scores from 1 to 2 will drop more for 3000 series. How much the FPS will drop will depends on the temp increase from test 1 over into test 2. The colder you can keep the card running the better. Have been like this since Pascal.
    upload_2021-2-24_4-40-55.png

Edit.
    Put it the other way. 3080 should be stronger on paper both for graphics test 1 and 2. But a colder running 2080 card can eat off some of the disadvantage if it can run a lot colder. Higher temp would do the opposite and yeah, the 3080 would won test 2. The way it should have been.

raz8020, etern4l and Normimb like this.
  9. Normimb

Reputations:
    Thanks. Very informative. Didn't know those details, i mean i knew temps was important but didn't know the 40C target
    So i guess that's why sometimes i see some pro-overclockers (like you :)) benching and having a 40C average temp on TimeSpy. Cooling the GPU at/or below 40C would be the ideal target for Nvidia GPU's.

Papusan likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Here is some more info for the topic... http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...unge-phoenix-3-0.800081/page-65#post-10476824

Edit... See also
    The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3000 series also has a Hotspot...

raz8020, etern4l and Normimb like this.