*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R4 / m17 R4 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, Jan 12, 2021.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    OCTINY likes this.
  2. OCTINY

OCTINY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It was less a comparison against a 3070 & more a showing that all 3000 Series cards drop hard on the 2nd test (percentage wise), and not due to temps. Like a few posts above mine was insinuating. It matching the 3070 was just icing on the cake. Also noting that the temp was 53c while still experiencing a hard drop. All 3000 cards drop in similar fashion desktop or mobile.

I would've compared it to Premas OC scores, but that's kind of useless since his GPU scores haven't been replicated by anyone else (800+ points higher than anyone else). Which is quite a bit in lappy land.

Case in point, the 3080 even while gimped surpasses the unreplicated scores.

Once mine arrives next month I'll do be sure to do a thorough analysis w/ actual gaming benchmarks, OC'ed to the max from 1080p to 4K.

Attached Files:

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That was just the second 3070 score I grabbed from another forum, didn't even run a search. It's from some bobbysix guy, who mentioned his OC settings, like clock +500, mem +1000 or something like that - didn took like an irreproducible OC.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  4. OCTINY

OCTINY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh no, you misunderstood. I was referencing about the 2080 Super GPU score by Prema, not 3070 desktop. Which has yet to be replicated (800+ points away for the next best 2080 Super notebook score).

Attached Files:

5. bjrebo

bjrebo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine arrives tomorrow. Happy to test anything you guys want to see. Going to undervolt cpu and oc gpu as high as I can.

JasonNH and OCTINY like this.
  6. DaBears92

DaBears92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those that have received their R4 with a 4K display, what are your thoughts on it? The reason I ask is because I received my Alienware m17 R4 on Feb 15th and ended up returning it. I had the i9, RTX 3080, 32GB version with the 4K display. The main problem I had was the 4K display, the colors were off and it had a yellowish tint to it, almost like you had the blue filter on. My daughter has a 2020 Razer Blade 15 and my son has an ASUS Tuf Gaming laptop. Both of those displays looked way better than the 4K on the Alienware. I compared all 3 laptops side by side with the same pictures, articles, and videos pulled up and the 4K on the Alienware just looked bad. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with my display or what, but I uninstalled/reinstalled drivers and even removed the hard drive, added my own and did a new Win 10 install but nothing improved the display. So I returned it and ordered the m15 R3 during their President's Day sale. I got the i7-10875H, 32GB, RTX 2070 Super, 300Hz display in Lunar Light for $1699 ($1300 cheaper than the m17 R4 I had returned) and hope that display will at least be comparable to my daughter's Razer Blade. I was going to go with the m15 R4 but I couldn't use any coupons on it (which is funny because I was able to use a 10% off coupon on the m17 R4) so that's what led me to the sale page where I found the deal on the m15 R3.

JasonNH likes this.
  7. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On my previous M15R2 i had the samsung Oled panel. It had perfect color accuracy and was great. I can only imagine that it's just as good if not better with the R3 and R4 version.

8. JasonNH

JasonNH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The M17 R3/R4 is not the OLED you find on the M15 versions though. If DaBears92 was comparing the M17 R4 4k non-OLED screen to the Razer 4K OLED screen, that could account for the disappointed comparison. That said, it still sounds like something may have been off because the reviews I read of the M17 R3 4k screen (which I believe is the same as the R4) seemed to be generally positive as far as the picture quality went.

etern4l and Normimb like this.
  9. Normimb

Reputations:
    Well i understand you are very satisfied with the overclock score of 14K graphic in TimeSpy. I agree it is the best graphic score on a syntétic benchmark so far with this 3080 version of the card.
    I understand that Prema score (he's a professionall benchmarker) is out of our league and i agree that my score 12600 vs 13989 is more of a fair comparaison but....stil it's only a 12% improvment but at least it's an improvment and i understand you are excited about this results. I personnally think it's just OK.

Where it hurts is the results in game we have so far. That is the only review i could find of some of the performance in games of the M17R4 :https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-m17-r4

They have tested the 3080 with the I9 10980HK CPU in games benchmark and when i duplicates their settings with the previous gen Nvidia card, the 2080S gave me better FPS in the 2 test i did today.
    upload_2021-2-23_16-33-25.png

I also tested RDR 2 and i average 83.5 FPS as opposed to the 3080 79FPS.

I will be testing Metro Exodus soon.

For sure in some games the 3080 should ouperformed the 2080S but it shouldn't be a discussion. It should beat the previous gen by a big margin in almost every game.
    My guess is Dynamic Boost is only effective in Benchmark (i could be wrong).

So yes in benchmark the 3080 is 12% stronger but in games in don't see that. I see the opposite. Temperatures? Dynamic boost? i don't know.

Edit: I edited the good link for the results,https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-m17-r4

raz8020, seanwee and OCTINY like this.
  10. Normimb

Reputations:
    sorry i thought he orderered the M15R3 oled. He ordered the M15R3 300Hz.