*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R3 / m17 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, May 25, 2020.

1. Ergo7

Ergo7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some buddies of mine that work over at ASUS told me an ASUS 280W adapter should get recognized properly by the Scar 15 without any problems. I guess I can test it out, but also no big loss if it doesn't work out. This is also going to be my new primary laptop for software development so I'd rather have an AMD chip for better battery life away from the wall.

seanwee likes this.
  2. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    That's reasonable. Good luck

3. Laptopz

Laptopz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is the m17 R3 compared to the Area 51m R2? And how do these Alienwares compare to the Dell Precision 7720/7730/7740 models? I'm mainly looking at performance and ideally something that isn't going to just overheat/throttle.

4. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    All will throttle and run hot. Dell Alienware have 100°C as Cpu temp target.

And here is etc Dell Precision 7730 See bolded text from the review.

Temperature
    Unfortunately, while the fans in the Precision 7730 get loud, this does not correlate with good thermal management. Surface temperatures reach almost 60 °C on some areas of our review unit when we push it hard, which is worryingly hot. While Dell did not design the Precision for use on a lap, its surface temperatures should still be lower. We suspect that more-powerful variants will get even hotter, perhaps even dangerously so.

5. Laptopz

Laptopz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will the Area 51m R2 be the least prone to throttling/overheating out of the 3 due to it's larger size then at least?

6. Diversion

Diversion Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not if you go into the bios and turn off caspsule updates.. this will prevent Windows from pushing a BIOS update.

Sacred_User likes this.
  7. CloseToHome

CloseToHome Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey fellas, I need asking for some assistance here. I have a M17R3 w/ 2070 that I purchased a few months back. There was a slight issue a few days ago where my audio suddenly crackled. I restarted the laptop and everything was fine. However, I don't know if I'm going crazy but the sound doesn't seem as "crisp" anymore. I re-installed Realtek Drivers from Dell website as well, but I'm questioning if everything is running ok...

So when I go to "Device Manager", and "Sound, video, game controllers"...My Realtek audio does not actually show "Realtek HD Audio", but just "Realtek Audio". When I go see my Sound settings, the default sound name is "Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)". I'm wondering if my speakers are supposed to be "HD", and would it have correlation to my sound not sounding as "crisp" anymore? I tried the sound with Headphones, and it has no problems though. I usually like to use my laptop without headphones. I have also updated my BIOS, but I don't think that's the issue. I'm not sure what the default Speakers settings are, so if anyone can assist me, that'll be great. Picture shown below:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. baayoo

baayoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys

Need help for my new m17 R3 RTX 2070 Super( still under warranty)
    Pc crashes on high gpu demand operatios such as 1080p furmark test or video games.
    I was only able to perform a small stress test and upload on youtube.

1080p furmark stress test crashes in a few seconds.

And power button is blinking red and blue after 2-3 minutes im small stress test. Returns to solid blue 1 minute after stress test ended.
    Bios 1.7.2
    What i have tried so far;
    Reinstalled gpu driver
    Bios install manually
    Reinstall windows many times.
    Checked power cord , cables and power socket.
    I coordinated with Dell Support . Motherboars and gpu will be replaced. However i need to wait long until parts arrive.
    I would try to undervolt and underclock my gpu. But these options are locked. Cpu and ram has no over/underclocck option. Gpu’’ power limit and thermal limit is locked. Unable to unlock in both alienware control center and msi afterburner. The only option to overlock is mhz of gpu ram.
    any suggestion peculiar to this situation?

thanks in advance

this is when system crashes

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  9. krupers

krupers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Gigaman

Gigaman Newbie

Reputations:
    have upgraded BIOS to 1.8.0 and updated the OC controls - all seems ok