*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R3 / m17 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, May 25, 2020.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's absolute nonsense. Gsync, on the other hand, adds huge input lag.

2. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    15 R3 (Kaby Lake) with a 60 Hz G-Sync display, but I keep G-Sync off. I don't have an m15 R3. Don't know if I will. Depends on if Dell decides to replace my 15 R3 with the m15 R3 if my laptop ever breaks.

Granted, I don't know if the more powerful Comet and Coffee Lake CPUs suck up more juice than Kaby Lake, resulting in worse battery life.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 15 R3 has a beautiful 99Wh battery, but that 8-9h is still suspect. I remember I was getting 10-11h on the R2 with Optimus when the laptop was brand new. People report 2.5h battery life with 15 R3 and gsync.

https://uk.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...tegrated-graphics-with-15-r3-and-g-sync-panel

What's the miraculously efficient dGPU then?

Anyway, the battery in the m15 has been butchered. My 2070MQ will struggle to draw less than 8W at the minimum, in top of 12W baseline system draw. 4h of battery life would be amazing, but quite unlikely (maybe idling at 10% display brightness).

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that I have a 90+ wHr Battery. I usually saw around 12 to 15w being used. I also tend to keep my display dim, RGB off, etc. I do whatever I can to keep the battery life as good as it can be through software optimizations.

It sounds like an outlier, but I frequently saw 6 hours (sometimes 7, rarely 8) of battery life through my time studying for my BA. I imagine there are other factors with the computer that contribute to the battery life, but my eyes don't lie.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's the draw I see in my optimised m15 with Optimus. Add 8W+ for dGPU just displaying the desktop.

6. JaTXaR

JaTXaR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    perhaps you should look at a different laptop scenario that might be better suited to your use case (like an XPS 15 + Aorus Gaming Box). This is my current setup (XPS 15 - 9570 with PCH mod + Aorus Gaming Box 1080 + Samsung 1080p 144Hz monitor) and it works well, even the EGPU is portable (comes in small camera like shoulder bag). That way you can get good battery life when doing other tasks unplugged and then when you want to game you can plug in the EGPU via TB3 (ideally into an external monitor). If you primarily use a laptop for gaming then I think you should accept that battery life seems not to be a priority for the Alienware development team (or any gaming laptop dev team?) as there is high end hardware crammed in a small footprint. Alternatively you could modify your thinking to my suggestion if it works for your use case.

7. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In answer to the thermal question. On stock thermal paste with the i7 10750H and a 2070 Super the laptop will hit an all core speed of 4.2 ghz and will maintain that all the way up to 93c+. Even with an undervolt of -.100mv i still see high temps but they are much better than the previous temps on the m15r2. The cpu spikes to 85c in games but that's about the hottest it gets. I plan to repaste with liquid metal and I'll do some before and after screens.

Although not impressive temps the cpu seems to have a much higher throttle point then before and while 90c+ temps are worrisome it still performs pretty well. The tdp of the chip is listed at 107w in intel xtu. I got a score of 1430 in cinebench r15 consistently which outperformed my 9750h in my m15r2 by 200 points or so.

8. JaTXaR

JaTXaR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Look forward to the results. Seems like they did make it a proper ball ache this iteration with the inverted motherboard, tonnes of screws and little ribbon cables to remove to get to the dies. Good luck with it all.

9. EepoSaurus

EepoSaurus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's almost exactly like the m15r2. It seems like a bear at first but it actually goes fast once you know how it comes apart. I repasted the m15r2 with liquid metal and i was able to keep the cpu under 83c at full load with a -125mv. The lower temps fixed the performance issues but i suspect I'll drop temps on this cpu but it likely won't increase performance much at all.

Ok here are some before screens
    Baseline on balanced mode -100mv undervolt +100 core +225 mem GPU
    [​IMG]

3DMark11 Performance Run -100mv undervolt +100 core +225 mem GPU
    [​IMG]

3dMark Firestrike Full Speed Mode -100mv undervolt +100 core +225 mem GPU
    [​IMG]

Max Temps Full Speed Mode -100mv undervolt +100 core +225 mem GPU
    [​IMG]

Bit of a hot tamale.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2020
    etern4l and alaskajoel like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, that woild be a fallback plan in the unlikely case all brands followed Alienware on the engineering path downhill. The advantage of my m15 R1 over your setup:

* All in one package, no need for an eGPU
    * Supports 2 eGPUs thanks to the AGA and TB3 port

As.an owner of AW 15 and the m15 (excellent amd good battery life respectively), I don't accept that powerful laptops need to have poor battery life.

To be fair, this discussion has turned out to be a bit of tempest in a teappt, because apparently the m15 R3 actually offers Optimus with some display options.