*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R3 / m17 R3 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Game7a1, May 25, 2020.

1. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Seeing as these just launched, might as well have an owner's lounge for the m17 R3 and m15 R3 laptops.

The m15 R3 and m17 R3 are revision updates over the R2 versions. New Comet Lake CPUs, Vapor Chamber (only for the CPU). RX 5500m and RTX 2070 Super and 2080 Super (Max-Q for m15 R3, Max-P for m17 R3), 4-way speakers, and chassis with "High Endurance Clear Coat". Otherwise, pretty similar machines to the R2. Below are their support pages for drivers and manuals.

m15 R3

m17 R3

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. Lakshya

Lakshya Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Typo: Max Q for the 15 r3, not "for the 13 r3".

3. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Thanks. Fixed the typo.

Lakshya likes this.
  4. Lee Ross

Lee Ross Newbie

Reputations:
    Just ordered one to replace my G7 which seems to thermal throttle unless i game inside my freezer.
    M15 R3 with 10th Gen Core i7, 16gb, a single 2tb drive in one slot, 2070 super and gsync display $2400.00.
    This one better not thermal throttle or I am going to wear dell's warranty support department out.
    Lee

5. jamesjacks22

jamesjacks22 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I’m thinking of the same configuration.

I’ve read somewhere that with the 10th gen cpu you can disable G-sync and run on the Intel gpu where before you were forced to have the main gpu on 100% of the time, don’t know if this is true or not.

6. JaTXaR

JaTXaR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone find any noteable reviews ? Can't seem to find any in print or YT which is odd given it is released. Particularly interested in m15r3 thermals and whether the new cooling tech is noteworthy or marketing hype.

7. Lee Ross

Lee Ross Newbie

Reputations:
    Limited information out there, I did find this for the 17 fully loaded so my config should be better

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-m17-R3

"We also put the m17 R3 through our gaming stress test, where we ran the Metro Exodus 1080p RTX preset benchmark on a loop 15 times to simulate a half hour of gaming. The game ran at an average frame rate of 62.9 fps, which the benchmark placed in the 99th percentile among its users. The average CPU clock speed was 3.8 GHz with an average temperature of 89 degrees Celsius (189.1 degrees Fahrenheit). The GPU, meanwhile, ran at an average clock speed of 1.4 Ghz and an average temperature of 73 degrees Celsius (163.4 degrees Fahrenheit)."

8. JaTXaR

Reputations:
    Thanks Lee. I have seen a number of m17 reviews but not anything significant in the m15. I am looking for temps during gaming on virtually the same config as your purchase but a 300 Hz screen (not for the refresh rate as no game I play will do 300 fps to make use of it but for the 3ms response time). Maybe you can report gaming temps when you get yours

9. Lee Ross

Lee Ross Newbie

Reputations:
    I will report, but i will be out of town when mine finally ships, so i wont be back until the 27th of june. If no one else updates this thread before then I will report on my temps.
    Thanks
    Lee

10. JaTXaR

Reputations:
    That is quite some wait. I feel for you ;-) I am not going to pull the trigger until I know the thermal answer so happy to wait though I am sure I will find out before you are acquainted with your beloved.