*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Revan9

Revan9 Newbie

Reputations:
    I look forward to seeing your results. I went back and fourth on the 1660 and 2060 but I assumed the 2060 likely wouldn’t run that much cooler in the M15 - if it does I’ll just go with that.

I want a laptop that performs well without throttling. High, smooth frame rates (Apex Legends, DCS, Cyberpunk next year) with low response time. I have a Razer core so I’m a little less worried about GPU “future proofing”.

2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, I wasn't addressing you in particular, it was a general comment, after seeing each user report thermal throttling, and I was actually interested in buying Dell G7 and was comparing prices with similar models ;-) If people actually like the looks of it - that's their preference ;-)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    As much as I love the look of this laptop I could never bring myself to even try one out. The flipped motherboard was the deal breaker for me as dell is just notorious for using dried toothpaste in their machines. Back when I had the m15 r1 the first thing I did was pull it apart and repaste it. And that took maybe ten minutes? So making it not serviceable to fix what we all know is going to be a problem is just a nightmare waiting to happen. Then soldering everything except the ssd's really just made it un appealing. Only the Aero 15 and the Razer Blade 15 or Pro seem like they're worth anyones money this time around.

4. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just FYI, for all future purchasers of this model - make sure to spend a little extra for 240hz display panel. It has better contrast ratio, better response time and is more power efficient:
    https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-r2-laptop_users-guide_en-us.pdf
    You can benefit from all of those even if you don't play any games. Same goes for all other laptops which use this panel (Dell G7 or some other brands).

Lynton Bell, Wilhelm_SI and c69k like this.
  5. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My cart was updated while contemplating purchase, m17 now has Killer wifi 6 and BT 5.0.
    And if you didn't know about coupons, LSC10OFF still works for now.
    Screenshot (67).png

0lok likes this.
  6. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Darkhan, c69k and alexnvidia like this.
  7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nice pictures!
    looks to me like the thermal pads were not making good contacts on the majority of the power delivery components surrounding CPU and GPU except for the center and top of the CPU.

thermals looks good after repaste. how was it before repaste?

8. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  9. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Not my pics of course, but it seems to perform like any other 9750h at that point. 80's in game. So no thermal throttling anymore. He didn't change the pads though. So there might still be room for improvement.
    Now that's just mean to those that waited for weeks to get theirs.

Darkhan likes this.
  10. Komorebi

Komorebi Newbie

Reputations:
    The worst: returning for a new wifi card, and then a 32gb ram model shows up. Return for that one, and 64gb dimms show up.