*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Quikj

Quikj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice use of the passive periphrastic.

2. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone with an 9880xx series should probably give a try to see if disabling HT gains you any ground. It won't do anything for your CB scores but many games respond very, very well to the 9700K and where it can clock higher if it doesn't hit power limits, you may well get better gaming and lower heat but going with 8 pure cores instead.

Darkhan likes this.
  3. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  4. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From alienware's channel.

specs given in description:
    Intel i7-9750H NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 w/ Max-Q Design 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4 2666MHz 512, 2x256GB M.2 PCIe SSD 15.6"" FHD (1920x1080) 240Hz

The game caps at 144hz though.

5. DimWest

DimWest Newbie

Reputations:
    Thought i'd chime in with my experience so far if anybody cares. This is the 3rd Alienware I've owned over the past 6 years. Each experience has been very typical when it comes to the hype and eventual disappointing product. I've sworn off Alienware after going through 3 seperate 17r4 models a couple years ago but, always find myself drawn back by their design language. Over 2 years i've owned an Aero, Zephyrus and a Razer most recently for context. Somehow this company keeps me coming back for more despite having the absolute worst track history of any other laptop company i've dealt with. That in mind, Dell does have a very good return policy and acceptable customer service.

So I've had my M15 R2 for about 2 days now. I opted for the 2060 model with the OLED screen. This screen is why i found myself back in camp Alienware. Right out of the box it was gorgeous. Thin, quiet, amazing screen and premium materials. The keyboard! what nice familiar feeling. I'm not getting any flickering that other OLED users have reported. Very happy with the potential of this machine. Run a quick stress test, greeted by the all too familiar thermal throttling. My cpu temps are hitting 100 degrees only being drawn back down by the constant throttling. Fair enough, thats just a stress test i tell myself. Boot up a game and the cpu is once again running 100 degrees. We all know this song and dance so i won't go into more details. Got a hold of Dell right away they informed me they didn't have parts ready to replace anything yet. I'd be looking at a week minimum before they think they could get a tech out with the required parts(not sure what they think they need). Reached out to Umar and he suspected it was "power spiking" which is completely normal in his eyes. Their support team won't exchange anything under a basic warranty. What could've been something great right off the bat has turned into what i've grown used to, sweet sweet disappointment.

Terreos, Mr.Claw, FXi and 4 others like this.
  6. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yet it doesn't sound like you're going to return it and go back to one of the other brands, or is that incorrect? Razer and Aero both have OLED panels on similar grades of notebook. And in almost humorous fashion even Razer has less soldered on permanent junk than AW. Imagine an 8265 wifi module that is nearly 4 years old, soldered on so you can't in any way update it, and calling that a cutting edge notebook with a 9th gen cpu. Some features are great - it's not all bad. But there's a reason they are discounting this thing like crazy. In 12 months we'll have Ice Lake in at least hexa core varieties. Personally I'm not touching anything on the multi thousand dollar price list (phones included) that can't talk WPA3 or be upgradeable to that standard.

I'm assuming you'll give a shot at undervolting just to see if you can get those temps even slightly into acceptable range.

7. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats just the thin an light design resulting in less thermal headroom. Nothing is wrong with the unit lol noting to "replace". Dont like it return it. I know damn well to avoid all 6 core and up intel CPU's since they throttle in anything less than the size of war ship.

Undervolting is a given that everyone must do, and if you get lucky enough with the silicon lottery, maybe you get a 250 mv under volt and little to no thermal throttling.

You buy a thin n light intel laptop and wonder why it throttles with 6 and 8 core CPUs.....

Darkhan likes this.
  8. Komorebi

Komorebi Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I read alot of negative reviews, especially on heat management on the m15 r2. While some of it is warranted, some of it really is not.

I had the m15 r2(2080, 8 core hk, 16gbram, oled) for a couple of days ( returned it due to a minor graphical glitch that would occur when the 2080 handshaked with the inner display only).

For reference I have previously owned an aw 15 r5, several asus rog variants(old ones), aero 15 x.

Also I have tried outthe recent razer blade 15 and 17, and tried out the m15 r1. I also have a desktop pc that I have been trading out parts for years.

My current setup is the aw13r3 paired with aw's external gpu(2080ti).

About the thermals. The device comes in quiet fan mode, which is why many people have had issues with the device. Switching to balanced mode was more than adequite cooling for the device.

The hk cpu came in undervolted -30mv which was a pleasant suprise.

I paired my m15r2 with 2 laptop feet, which when folded out, raise the back 1-2inches.

Whith this basic setup, I played ff14 near max everything at a consistent 60 fps 4k.

My cpu temps varied from 70-80 whith the gpu about 5-10 degrees less depending on the load. 65-75.

I had ff14 open for about 10 hours on and off, and it never got hot like the m15r1 or my aero did, byt it did get warm.

Wifi signal not as good as my 13r3 when on the opposite side of the house, but it certainly was not bad. Just average. If you prefer wires like me, its easy to overlook.

What is not easy, is the ram limit of 16gb. If you open several tabs in brave, its easy to get near the limit.if you do any memory heavy work like ue4, unity, video editing etcetc, it is impossible to forgive this. however azor, before leaving aw, has confirmed is coming, at the latest we would likely see this in the aw15r3.

32gb ram Source:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1139265935376695296

One thing the the m15r2 beats every other laptop in this category in is the keyboard. It just feels good. The moment I touched it, the keystrokes felt normal and natural. It just worked. Like i mentioned earlier, I went out to my local windows store to test out the keys on the razor laptops, and also the apple store to test macbook keys as well.

The mac books were by far the worst.

The razor laptops while better, still had that bad feeling of small travel.

The awm15r2 keys l, by comparison, were a dream. I would compare the goodness of the feedback to an xbox elite controller. They dont travel as far as the aw 15/17/13 keyboard, but it does feel just as good, though less keytravel.

Obviously, formfactor is good. Fans on full load are what you would expect, though average volume, it is slightly higher pitched, so you may notice it more.

Looks nice, key lighting is as good as always.

And if course the oled is great. with the 2080, I never noticed any screen tearing. Did not notice flickering, though I ran the display at 70 and above brightness.

Unfortunately i returned the device, as I had a wierd glitch like I mentioned earlier, a white box appearing for a second on handshake with the gpu, though this is not typical.

All in all, I would say, if 16gb ram is suitable and you can live with the wifi, go for it. It feels like a good device.

If you are like me it is best to wait.
    They have already recieved good feedback on every other part of the device. I would bet good money that a revision will come with better wifi and ram sizes. Though likely it will be soldered on like thise revision. But hopefully it wont!

Hopefully you guys found this informative!

Wilhelm_SI and c69k like this.
  9. Lynton Bell

Lynton Bell Newbie

Reputations:
    @Komorebi nice one thanks for that, I'm also coming from an aw13r3. Keyboard travel/feel was also very important to me; I tried a Blade 15 Advanced and didn't like it actually, cheap/plastic feel and no questions mark next to shift, what were they thinking. Dell is attractive to me for the support assist and software updates plus support availability, service quality generally.
    Questions for yourself and others if I may with my m15 r2 in transit currently from China with specs 9750h, rtx2060mobile, 240hz panel:
    • Is it true that windows Hello is not supported despite Tobii? My 3yr old aw13r3 has this!
    • Ram should be enough for me but disappointing that it is soldered. At least it's fast enough if the timings are ok
    • The 240hz panel should not have PWM I don't think but let me know if anyone thinks it has/does above say 20% brightness. I've seen that the OLEDs do have it
    • I opted for the 2060 gpu because I'm hoping the thermals will be tolerable for 'on lap' strategy gaming e.g. Civilization/Total War. The cooling solution for this with vents on top and the rear assembly make me think it would finally be a winner in this regard but if someone could confirm that would be great. The blade 15 with 8750h/2070mq was a total fail, hot mess
    • If anyone has solved thermal issues with Intel XTU, it would be good to know settings. If the 9300h wasn't rated at 45w same as the 9750h, I would have gone for that. Shame there is no lower powered options out there - why does no one pair say 8565u with a 1660ti/2060? Would be a fascinating combo in thermal terms and still 4c/8t...
    That's it for now. The other compromises seem tolerable to me even if some choices were questionable. Let's face it in the land of 7nm/10nm coming we'll all be upgrading in a year or two anyway. If there are quality issues or too many off putting factors I'll likely return and give in to the new XPS 15 as it seems like a quality item with the right design choices and thermals are likely good with the 1650

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  10. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 9300h actually fits mostly within its TDP of 45 watts and wont throttle/power limit throttle.

The 9750h is NOT a 45 watt chip and will try to use more than that whenever you actually push it. It will throttle because it cannot sustain boost over 45 watts for an extended period of time. Intel has been purposefully ****ty when it comes to "TDP". Look at the 8700k and 9900k, both are made on the same 14nm ++ process, except one has 6 cores and the other has 8..... yet they are both rated 95 watt TDP??????? Technically you can run a 9900k on a Z370 but one should not since most dont have VRM's up to the task of handling the increased power demands of the chip. Its crazy.

Remember, these 6 core chips easily use 100 watts in a desktop. the 9750h really ought to be rated around 65 watt TDP since they easily use that when short term boosting.

You should have gone with the 9300h, but you didnt know any better. All you can do with those 6 core chips is undervolt and pray for a good chip. A repaste can help in some cases.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019