*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To put things in perspective, based on these FireStrike results, the new laptops perform on par with 8750+2080MQ, or just 10% faster than my 8750+2070MQ, as perhaps expected given the same thermal limits.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    CptXabaras likes this.
  2. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    I would say more that the new system perform around 1% faster than a similarly configured R1 system, based on those Firestrike result.
    Take into account also that, i'm running on the original OS supplied by dell, i've got the Impact CL15 memory kit at home waiting for me to get back (6 days left!) and install them (mate! i've payed them just 125€ + shipment), i'm pretty sure that i can match that score upgrading to faster DDR4 and a clean windows install.
    Anyway, the score below is with latest nvidia drivers installed and, since i was bored in my room here at the camp base, i did a repaste and wen't full LM on both GPU&CPU.

Of course the new model can still be repasted (good luck with that flipped mobo design), overclocked etc...but forget about upgrading it at all, other than storage.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Vasudev, Darkhan and etern4l like this.
  3. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity how do the fans sound under load/gaming?
    The R1 model I tried ran hot and loud is the redesigned R2 the same?
    At least temps on the R2 seem good but also wondering how hot it gets with a extended gaming session.

Darkhan likes this.
  4. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    I think the sound is something subjective. When i game i use the performance profile, so, fan at full throttle. I do use Bose noise canceling headset, not because of the fan noise but because of the sound experience and the immersion. Even so, with the laptop integrated speakers, over 80% volume, the fan noise doesn't bother me. Also while the fans can make them hear them self, it is not a high pitched sound, you can hear them spinning but is mostly the air noise passing through the fins. I do understand however that whats good for me might not be good for others.
    De Gustibus non disputandum est... as said once the dog licking is own butts :)

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The R1 isn't loud on balanced unless something pushes CPU utilisation hard. Few games if any do, and even then it's still much less than 100% noise.

CptXabaras likes this.
  6. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Haven't tried the balanced mode for gaming yet, will do this evening thou.

etern4l likes this.
  7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Had the new m15r2 for a couple of days, My system had the right side hinge uneven and you could see the metal inside, I took off the back piece and try to snap back on tighter but no luck, also the bottom rubber foot has discolored like yellow stains, like an old piece of rubber left out side would have.
    Now for the thermals, I had the i9 2080. I tried OC controls, XTU and TS and all produced same results, severe throttle anything over 4.3 all cores even fans on full and a laptop cooler could not keep them under 95c, so forget going for the 5.1ghz option lol. I do think the cooling system is decent for the size of the laptop its crazy thin, so maybe LM would help some?
    GPU temps were great, maxed around 67 but performance was weak and highest I could get my card was 100+core anything over that would crash so best gpu score was 21758.
    They offered me more money to keep it and offered money and a replacement but I am very happy with the Aero for now.
    Good luck to those that are willing to try it, maybe yours will perform better than mine?

Vasudev, IKAS V, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  8. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback on the new machine.
    LM on that flipped mobo is going to be tricky or any other repaste for that matter. Imagine a scenario where first repaste goes wrong and has to be redone. Pulling all out again will be a major pita.

Papusan, etern4l and Darkhan like this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hope you didn't miss the opportunity to turn down the financial incentive offer with "$500? Are you kidding me? Nothing short of this system architect's head will do!".

Wilhelm_SI likes this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe on 1 core brother:D Forget the rest of the cores. And Intel’s Scam Feature Thermal Velocity Boost won’t do much as the max Cpu temp has to be around 50C or below. Big words worth nothing!

Vasudev, etern4l and Darkhan like this.