*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. circuit

circuit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had my fair share of problems when I got my M15x in 2010. I had issues that ranged from overheating and laptop shutting off on google chrome to dust accumulating inside the screen. I had numerous visits from the tech support to fix random issues with the laptop. Fast forward to 2013, I got fed up with the laptop and got a Macbook Pro 15 inch Late 2013. Its approaching 7 years now and still runs perfectly fine. Just slow at things here and there due to dated hardware but I never had a single issue with it. I also have the Area 51m R2 which I got recently. If this Alienware will last me for 7 years, I would probably eat my hat. I know it wont be great for gaming 7 years from now but just running day to day tasks.

Aroc likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's apples and oranges. Of course if you don't put a powerful GPU in a laptop and throttle the CPU liberally, the laptop will run longer. My AW 15 R2 is 5 yeaes old and going strong, although I have a sneaking suspicion the m15 won't last that long due to ongoing fan sensor quirks.

3. TheCodeBreaker

TheCodeBreaker 7H3 1337

Reputations:
    Any idea how to flash the old bios (pre- locked undervolting). I messed up and did the dell updates when I was trying to fix the stuttering issue I had.
    Rollback does not work for me. Says something along the lines of image not available, or something like that.

4. sirlagzalot

sirlagzalot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Us Washington state

etern4l likes this.
  5. sirlagzalot

Reputations:
    Dell just offered me a new m17 r2, I said no, don't trust them, I asked for similar spec area 51m see what they say.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    c69k, Aroc, seanwee and 1 other person like this.
  6. sirlagzalot

Reputations:
    Dell responded with we only replace with same model like for like, what first replacement was for m17 r1 and even though they were still available they replaced it with m17 r2, but now has to be the same. Sometimes I wonder does Dell even know or have control of their own replacement policy anymore.

etern4l likes this.
  7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They do whatevers convenient for them

Normimb and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There was a report here of Dell replacing an m17 for a 51M. Also, they claimed to me personally they only provide brand new replacement units, which we know is not the case.

Papusan, seanwee and sirlagzalot like this.
  9. sirlagzalot

Reputations:
    Well I said no again and they returned me back to tech support and said they would help me now. I only asked for similar specifications and priced area 51m or even gave option for m17 r3, and no back to tech support, at this point I just want my money back, I already bought an area 51m r2 thanks again pathfindercod, so I don't need another.

seanwee likes this.
  10. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since windows still didn't give me the update for 2004 / 2009 (currently still running on 1909), I was wondering if perhaps dell is holding back this update?
    On my Alienware 13 R3 I got the 2004 update quite a few months ago, I was wondering if anyone here already did update to 2004 / 2009.
    If so, are there any issues?