*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Life Cycles

Life Cycles Newbie

Reputations:
    Alright so I'm using bios 1.3.1 on my m15 r2 with an i7 9750H. I scrolled through every page in this thread and couldn't find info about whether upgrading to the latest bios will affect my ability to keep my undervolt in throttle stop. Can someone deny or confirm my suspicion? I believe this was something associated with intel security vulnerabilities and plundervolt?
    I'm currently on -145.5 mv offset on the core/cache and peak at 60c under full load. I'm happy with my thermals, but I wouldn't mind updating the bios if I'm able to maintain this type of performance.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. Life Cycles

Life Cycles Newbie

Reputations:
    you posted this as I was writing a reply, confirming my suspicion.

3. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can anyone remind me (if even possible) how I can downgrade a mandatory bios update?

4. Life Cycles

Life Cycles Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this will work but I seen this in a thread on dell that was marked as a solution. There's also a way to disable forced bios updates within the bios itself. Maybe worth a try? I have no idea if this will cause configuration issues, maybe someone else can chime in.
    https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...PGRADE-YOUR-BIOS-TO-1-5-2-IF-YOU/td-p/7633928

5. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot. This worked indeed. Managed to rollback to 1.3.1
    And now can undervolt again.

Thanks again

Normimb, Papusan and etern4l like this.
  6. Life Cycles

Life Cycles Newbie

Reputations:
    My m15 r2 woke from sleep with the lid closed when it developed a low battery. Does anyone know how to prevent this? I'd rather have the battery die and lose data than it turn on when in sleep mode with the lid closed.

etern4l likes this.
  7. QUICKSORT

Reputations:
    So after the fiasco, of when support tried to replace my heathsink due to the thermal issues I had on my m15 r2, And sicne I had 1 and a half month left for my premium support and accidental damage support, I thought I'd give repasting a chance.
    I did a repaste using Kryonaut. It was successful. My CPU temps didn't go over 95 degrees, and My GPu didn't even reach 60 after my first couple cinebenches and time spy runs:
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/51513408? (have a 400-500 higher score compared to before the repaste)

HOWEVER, I manage to break something unfortunately. I made a small mistake, and manage to damage 2 pins on the bridge that connects the IO board on the left side (ethernet, usb Headphonejack) with the motherboard (see image below).

This caused the USB on the left side to no longer work. Not a huge deal, as I still have my thunderbolt and 2 other usb ports to work with. But I want to fix this of course. And am planning to re-order this. But on saturday I couldn't order one, I had to wait till monday support said.

You guys have any idea price wise, how much this will cost me?

[​IMG]

8. sirlagzalot

sirlagzalot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just a little rant, I purchased a m17 r1 last December and immediately noticed it was extremely loud and very hot 100c. So called Dell and of course they wanted to run remote diagnostic and said it was with in limits. Well life happens so wasn't able to call them back until September of course now its definitely bad bad but refuse to exchange because more than 30 days had past. Dell didn't have the motherboard to replace so they offer exchange a m17 r2 so I agree. Computer shows up and I notice its dinged and coating is chipped, so I call them and send pictures and I'm told this is exceptable to them and if I wanted it fix they would be happy to quote me a repair price, what . I start it up and it idles at 81c and soon as you run anything, you guessed it 100c + and massive throttling .So another remote diagnostic and of course it's defective hardware, really you sent me another defective computer with the same problem. They offer to fix it, either on-site or send it to them, I told them I want a replacement or a refund, preferably a refund.
    Well rant over now I sit and wait for Dell decision fingers crossed

etern4l likes this.
  9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah thats the dell experience in a nutshell.

Aroc, etern4l, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's a lovely cautionary horror story, many thanks. My fav part is how they supplied a damaged refurb as a warranty replacement, they quoted the customer for the repairs. :D Where are you based, as this could be region-specific?

Aroc and Papusan like this.