*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. drystxx

drystxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got my m15 r2 , i7 9750H with rtx 2060 lunar white. does anyone know how to manually fan control? HWINFO doesn't work anymore :/

2. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  3. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You can use the Alienware Command Center to change the behaviour of fan speed and trigger levels.

drystxx likes this.
  4. cool.aquarian

cool.aquarian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have had my M15 R2 for over 6 months. It runs hotter than I would like while gaming, but I am used to it now.

I usually disable windows update (for allowed 2 months). But last week, 2 months were over and it installed some updates while restarting. On my next gaming session, the laptop crashed to a sky blue BSOD. Since then, I have been unable to completely recover my Laptop. I have tried many many times. The hardware diagnostics is clean and everything passes.

Clean installation of windows goes fine, but the moment I get to NVIDIA driver, whole laptop just freezes and starts running hot.
    And on hard reset, it does not boot up. I have to boot into Revovery->Troubleshooting and do System Restore to get the Laptop up and running.

I have tried all multiple ways of installing NVIDIA Driver - Dell provided drivers, from GeForce Experience and using Windows Update as well. All the times, my laptop freezes halfway through installation and I have to repeat the above hard reset, system restore to use the laptop.

Any suggestions, what could be wrong with my System ?

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Try these steps http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-2268#post-11032236

Normimb likes this.
  6. drystxx

drystxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks. I still wish I can use HWINFO though as it's my preferred choice but this is better than nothing.

I already replaced the thermal pads with k5 pro viscous thermal paste for thermal pad, repasted gpu with kryonaut, cpu with conductonaut. Undervolted core at -125v and cache at -90v. i get max gpu temp of 80 degrees and 85 degrees while playing Division 2 at max full performance and max fan speed.

my only issue is the keyboard area and the rest of the top case is too hot too touch while on full load gaming. it's too uncomfortable while playing. is this normal?

7. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    R2 has issues with cooling and the temperatures you get is pretty good for 15 inch level. I have only replaced my thermal paste and still i get almost 100 degree and the area especially under WASD keys are pretty hot. This is a thin device so some warmth under the keyboard is okay. I can suggest you that if you are okay to get a little less performance you can use cool mode to reduce the temperatures.

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The M15 R2 isnt a thin device by modern standards. Thin would be MSI GS or Asus Zephyrus series, the M15 R2 is in the medium sized category along with the MSI GE/Lenovo Legion series.

The main problem with alienwares is the inconsistent heatsink quality which is hopefully fixed with the recently released M15/17 R3 series. And even with a good heatsink its just average.

The new M15 R3 looks promising though
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...iew-Vapor-Chamber-Saves-The-Day.483238.0.html

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    RAM is still soldered so overall the R3 is DOA rather than promising.

Papusan and seanwee like this.
  10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was it ever really alive at that point

Normimb, Papusan and etern4l like this.