*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. legend4life

legend4life Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have undervolted and cooling pad already, instantly overheats under full load on Cores 0,2,4.

Have seen fujipoly and other pads recommended also, any thoughts on others?

Would you suggest letting the tech do the heatsink/fan replacement job with Dell supplied, and my paste, and just trying that first, and if doesn't work, trying the pads myself?

Could you help me understand what/how needs to be measured and in what spots the pads need to go?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2020
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If the tech needs to replace the heatsink, then talking them into doing the repaste might be worth a shot. I doubt they would repad though.

I understand fujipoly has less desirable mechanical properties (it's less soft, therefore could provide detrimental sink resistance) and would dismiss it on that basis.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    Papusan and legend4life like this.
  3. etern4l

Reputations:
    Google is your friend.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/cv8fzc/m15_i78750_repaste_before_after/

Basically, remove the heatsink, clean cpou and GPU + heatsink, take a picture of the existing pad layout. Measure all pad pieces, remove, clean up, cut new, replace. If you get the aforementioned sheets you'll have enough to cover, assuming you cut sensibly to leave little scraps. It's mostly 0.5 pads + 2 1.5mm or 1mm strips.

Once you repad, don't apply paste yet, do a fit test. You should see nice and even contact on all pads after dry mounting the sink. Once. Happy apply paste and mount sink. Remember about screw order as per the service manual.

Hth

4. legend4life

Reputations:
    In this case would it make sense to let the tech replace the parts/use my paste (he said ok), watch/learn, and if still needed try the other stuff myself later - pads, shims, pch, lap heatsink etc?

Any ideas on the momentary system stutter/freezes?

5. etern4l

Reputations:
    Sure, if they are happy to do it. Chances are a repaste would suffice. When I had a tech over, he was in a hurry and convinced me the Toothpaste on the new mobo might be good enough. BS.

Sounds bad. Shouldn't happen even out if the box on Dell Toothpaste. Try a clean reinstall, if it doesn't help push for mobo replacement or system exchange. Good old Dell, my mobo was faulty on arrival.

BTW sorry, I noticed this is the R2 forum. Ignore the pad sizing advice I gave you, as well as the link - it was specific to R1. You need to find info pertaining to the R2, or take the opportunity of tech visit to take 3D measurements of the pads. There was this guy called @littlezipp who might be able to help you if he is around.

You will also have to deal with the idiotic inverted mobo in the R2, pay attention to that during the tech's visit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2020
  6. legend4life

Reputations:
    Stutter most likely due to bad mobo/system? That's what I thought and why I don't want to waste too much time/effort myself if mobo/system is bad, can't be fixed, but Dell support wants to try this first.

What can you use to practically take 3D measurement of pad sizes and esp thickness?

Thank you.

7. etern4l

Reputations:
    Yeah, sounds like mobo. Any BSODs?

Obviously measuring width and height is trivial. I just used a normal ruler, but in all honesty this is not ideal for measuring depth of very thin pads (finger in the air came in handy). I've seen someone recommend calipers, although with this you would have to measure after removal I guess. Dell pads on the R1 were quite hard, but if memory serves kind of glued on, so had to rip/scrub them off.

8. legend4life

Reputations:
    Yes BSODs previously, first a ton with 'KERNEL MODE TRAP', that seemed to go away after some driver/system updates. Then more with 'WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' that seemed to go away with reducing the undervolt. Currently not getting any but still have the system freeze/stutter, even under low load. Thoughts?

So regular ruler can work for the pad depth, of 0.3-0.5mm etc? What do you use to scrub/clean them off?

9. etern4l

Reputations:
    I don't recall temporary freezes as a result of too much UV. It would result in permanent freeze or BSOD. Stutter would be more likely related to GPU issues.

Try running it with no undervolt ideally on clean system and drivers. Any freezes or BSODs would most likely be due to mobo (in the BGA laptop sense, i. e. Including GPU).

You would struggle to differentiate between .3 and .5 mm depth using a ruler, however, you can tell. 5 from 1. and 1.5mm, which should be enough. Can use isopropyl alcohol + cotton swabs to clean paste/pads off. I used Noctua wipes to avoid the risk of any cotton fibres getting stuck on surfaces.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Papusan and legend4life like this.
  10. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I recently got an M15 R2 OLED and it's great but when it turns on or boots up from sleep sometimes a part of the screen errors out. It's generally the same part (top left, a small box pattern) but it's slightly concerning. Sometimes there are some lines across the middle upon boot-up too. Is this normal for OLED displays or is this indicative of a problem or something shorting out? I am within the return window so I could return it or see if they will swap it for me. Anyone have advice?