*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. UjinKuzmenko

UjinKuzmenko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Have Alienware Vindicator v2 17, it’s to big to my AW m17 r2. Some one know is AW Vindicator v2 15 is fit for AW m17 r2 model?

Надіслано із мого iPhone за допомогою Tapatalk

2. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So i repasted yesterday with LM(conductonaut) CPU and Phobya Nanogrease GPU. I am happy with the result for the CPU. I have tried overclocking in CBR15 and here a my results:
    4.2, 4.3,4.4.GHZ= temps are between 75c to 85c and stable (by stable i mean constant clock speed no droped)
    4.5 GHZ = temps high 80 and stable
    4.6 ,4.7 4.8 GHZ = temps low 90 and stable
    4.9 GHZm = temps low 90 but unstable. some of the cores drop to 4.6 during test.
    when doing this test in loop for a long period of time= No thermal throttling until 4.6GHZ. At 4.7 and up Thermal throttling.

I was able to get 2045 in CBR15 at 48MHZ for one test only. Not a big improvement over the 2034 for stock paste.

For gaming i was able to play BF5 for 1 hour at 4.2GHZ constant and stable. The GPU was also overclock 100 core and 300 memory.
    Below are the results of my gaming sessions. I am happy this M15R2 can play this game at good temps. I am not sure i did a great job at repasting but i thik it helped a little bit. I have also find that the new command center it is important to set the Fan profile to FULL speed for max CPU performance. Anything below will reduce GHZ while gaming. For example at performance fan i would notice the clock of the CPU reduce to 4 GHZ instead of keeping a constant 4,2 at full speed. And there was no thermal throttling in both mode.
    BF5 1 hour gaming. 4,2 MHZ cpu constant, MSI+100 core.PNG

c69k and pinkcs like this.
  3. rtnlsltn

rtnlsltn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do your stock temps (both idle and load) compare to stock, before the repaste?

4. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunatly i did not record any gaming sessions with stock paste but i remember it wasn't so bad. Spikes to 99C but average temps were in the 80-90 for CPU.
    IDDLE is the same for GPU (45c 55c) and CPU ( 55 65) depends on fan profile you select.
    LOAD. The main difference is i no longer see spikes to 99C while Benchmarking the CPU. There is now a SLOW constant progression in temps untill it reaches it's max depending on how much i overclock the CPU.

Previous system was a 15R4 (LM also) and could not get as good temps while gaming. For comparaison my 15R4 CPU would be 95C BF5 and GPU 87C. This new system is much more powerfull then my old one (8 x cores insteand of 6) and it runs 10C to 15C cooler.
    I finally have an Alienware gaming laptop that can be use for gaming and that is what is important to me. :)

(Now i have to fix some BSOD i get in windows 10) LOL

5. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    How did you adjust the TDP on your machine? I thought these things were locked down so you couldn't do more than undervolt them with the likes of intel xtu and throttle stop.

6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well you always have a Max TDP that is locked through Bios, which you cannot exceed. And I think for this CPU it's 90 watt.
    What I did, is only change the "Turbo boost short power max", which is by defualt 90 watt, which I changed to 70 watt. Because 70 watt is also the default setting for "Turbo boost power max".
    The difference between these two is that the 90 watt can only be sustained for a "short" time, because it's putting too much strain on the CPU. Again by default on the m15 r2 it's 32 seconds.
    So if your pc were to consistently doing something that requires an uninterrupted turbo boost. It would use 90 watts for the 1st 32 seconds (which directly translates into higher clock frequencies), and after that, it will drop to 70 watt (which of course also means that the clock frequency drops).

So I basically simply set the short turbo boost watt and the normal one the same through Intel XTU

Is it normal that 1 of my Core temperatures is significantly higher than the rest?
    Doesn't matter single threaded or multi threaded (e.g. booting chrome, vs running cinebench). There is always one core (core 2 on core temps), that is the quickest, and the only core to ever reach 100 degrees. All other cores al have 10-15% lower temps.

Is this a thermal paste issue? If so, I'm not very good at doing a repaste, most definitely not on a laptop where thermal pads all have to be leveled + the motherboard being flipped.
    So I most likely will call dell on-site support for that, and let them apply a thermal past that I bought myself (which they do offer to do).

It's just last week or so, the cpu felt like reaching 100 degrees a lot more often. So I downloaded Core Temp, and saw that result, and am conserened, thinking that one "bad core" holds back the cpu its real potential. Or is this normal on this laptop?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
    pinkcs, Terreos and Normimb like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    10-15 C degrees difference means either bad paste job or uneven/not flat heatsink. Could be both.

See also...

m15 Uneven core temps. Tech said it was okay but I am hoping for a second opinion.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    etern4l, QUICKSORT and Normimb like this.
  8. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Repaste will help you but you will need LM (conductonaut) for best results. Dell did put a better paste in these laptops compare to previous generation (looks like MX4) and they put a lot! So if you go for repaste i suggest LM only for CPU and Kryonaut for GPU. GPU runs cool with normal paste. I was affraid to repaste too but @littlezip reassure me it wasn't to difficult. The flip motherboard it is nothing difficult, people exagerate the difficulty of it.
    I recommend you buy a IFIXit screwdriver Kit, watch @iunlock guide of how to repaste (15r3), don't replace the thermal pads. If you have any other questions you can PM me and i will help you. I took somme photos of the process.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    QUICKSORT and Papusan like this.
  9. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I think I might go for it after all.
    Though I've never tried LM, I'm also a person that doesn't care about getting every single mhz of performance out of my CPU. I just want to have good performance (I paid for it after all), and want no headache. If lowering 5% performance, means a temperature drop from 100 degrees, to strictly below 90 degrees. I'm fine with that. It's just that with how it currently is, it's rather unstable. I've had cinebench R15 result into 1150 score, but also 780. and more often around the 980-ish range.

So you are 100% positive that I most definitely should go for LM? I actually want to go for the most reliable solution in terms of the coming next 3 to 4 years, also something that doesn't corrode the heatsink/die lid (And I do already have an iFixit kit, VERY useful)

10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    LM only will give you what you wan't = less core diferential and better temps. It will last and you're heatsink is in cooper so no problem. You will need some protective tape on the CPU side. I use «kapton high temperature tape» for protection in case of a spill. The picture i included is the perfect amount needed for this repaste (i opened it up after and there was no spill). I include some photos to help you thinking how you will do it. Download the service manual: https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-r2-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf.

20191216_103133_what doesn't need to be removed.jpg 20191216_103208_Heatsink MB.jpg 20191216_103555_MB+HS stock thermal.jpg 20191216_111431_LM good amount.jpg

20191216_111917_CPU LM +kapton tape.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
    QUICKSORT likes this.