*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use throttlestop for that reason also. I don't need to adjust powerplan. When i am on AC power my windows setting is set to performance (AWCC also) and SPEED SHIFT- epp is set to 0 for maximum performance. When i am on battery power, throttlestop switch to a battery mode that i already set to be 180 in SPEED SHIFT-epp.(use the option button in throttlestop to set it)
    What i recommend you do is benchmark with cinebench R15 for cpu speed. Use HWinfo to to analyse CPU clock speed, CPU temps and Core V (voltage) while the test is running (lower voltage=lower temps) . Now the results will vary depending on how much you reduce performance in SPEED SHIFT. Remember 0= max perfomance and 255= min performance. You should use the same test to set your undervolt.
    Ultimatly you wan't lowest possible Core V for maximum core MHZ speed. Your CPU (9750H) should run 4GHZ x 6 cores, constant when you run this test for best performance.
    Your score in R15 should be more then 1200 ( i have had 1281 for the 8750h after LM) i would aim for 1300 if you run the test in priority mode.
    Your temps should be below 80C while you are running this test. Compare your temps with different undervolt you make.
    Also it is very important that you undervolt the CPU Cache in throttle stop (usually the same amount for the core) this would lower my temps a lot with 8750H.

New exchange system arrived. First results are encouraging.
    System is well built like QUiCKSORT mentionned before.

Minimal Thermal Throttling at 48 overclock.
    Stock paste.
    -135 undervolt CORE and CACHE.

Will probably LM next week but it runs cool at 42 GHZ with just an undervolt.

I will post more results nex week.

M15r2 stock paste.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
    0lok, CptXabaras and QUICKSORT like this.
  2. rtnlsltn

rtnlsltn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have an m17r2 w/9750h and 2070 max-q.

Got my machine. Undervolted the CPU Core/Cache by 160 and the Intel GPU by 50. I also disabled turbo boost.

Command Center set to High Performance with Balanced fan profile, my idle temps are: 50-52 package, 48-50 core. It's been sitting idle now for ~20min and it's up to 55-56C but it eventually drops back down. Gaming with Performance fan setting in Apex Legends I get between 66-74C on CPU and GPU.

My idle temps seem high from what others have reported. My living area is at 25*C. Do I send it back, or try and repaste first? I've got some Kryonaut available.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please don't repaste. First you shouldn't need to disable turbo boost. You should be able to play this game without thermal throtling from factory only with an undervolt like you did. If you can do that you have a great system. My advice is don't touch anything. If you get blue screnn while gaming, get very low frame rates, cpu temps above 95C then consider returning or repasting. From what i read i believe you have more reading to do about testing (no offense). But those M15/17 R2 seems to have good cooling spec from factory and you should probably keep it like it is.

4. rtnlsltn

rtnlsltn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Without disabling turbo boost i'm hitting 100C. I find it humorous that you're going to LM yet dissuade people from repasting. Your system idles at 38 and it's an i9...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    seanwee likes this.
  5. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My average idle is 49C with peak of 70c depending on wich fan profile i set. I believe it's normal temperatures. If i repaste it will be for the purpose of overclocking only, wich you cannot do with you CPU sorry. So if your system can perform without thermal throtling while gaming i recommend no repaste. If you hit 100C then yes you should repaste. And if you repaste then you should go LM (conductonaut) and the Kryonaut you do the GPU. There are risk in repasting. You might damage your connectors etc...while doing it. You have to consider if it is worth it before you do it and read a lot about how you will do it before you attempt it. I have done at least 30 repaste and broke at least 4 connectors during all those repastes. It's your decision but be sure you really need it before you attempt the repaste. By the way my system reach 99C too sometimes, depending on different settings. Sometimes the undervolt is not well applied, conflict in software etc....

6. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    FYI, Even though I'm thechnically not reaching 100 degrees when the fans properly run as they should.
    The moment the Turbo boost kicks in, with the short turbo boost Max TDP being 90 watt, the fans are too slow to react, so not when gaming, while the fans run properly, but when I'm doing normal stuff. E.g. if on chrome I quickly open like 3-4 heavy ish tabs quickly, it can hit 100 degrees for like 1 or 2 seconds, after which the fans kick in, and it's fine again.

This is kinda annoying, but understandable, considdering the CPU jumps from a TDP of 45 to 90 watt, which is insane. I tried lowering that to 70 watt, which gave me roughly 80-90 less score on Cinabench R15. I'm considering to keep it that way, just to be more comfortable. This way it can get to the 90s when there is a sudden spike on CPU usage, but the fans kick in before it has time to reach 100.

I tried with a custom fan curve, but somehow, it doesn't work, it runs like always on 70-80 percent of fan speed, regardless of the CPU temp it feels like.

Terreos and Normimb like this.
  7. UjinKuzmenko

UjinKuzmenko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there. I find solution for leave my AW m17 r2 silent and cold, I use two options with thermal quiet mode and power balance on AWCC and battery in Windows better performance, also undervolt -135V.

My laptop silent, cpu drop’s to 2 ghz use only one core instant, funs not used, one core used. Enjoy the silence.

Have one question, I can’t find haw to get 4.5 GHz on my Laptop. I am stuck on 4.0 GHz on 6 cores, and even in Bios can’t find enable turbo boost, can some one explaine?

Надіслано із мого iPhone за допомогою Tapatalk

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    i7-9750H is locked to 4.0GHz on all 6 cores. This is all you'll get.

UjinKuzmenko likes this.
  9. UjinKuzmenko

UjinKuzmenko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Looks like dell not honest enough to customer’s.

Надіслано із мого iPhone за допомогою Tapatalk

10. Normimb

Normimb Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Same for me. When Turbo boost Kicks in, i get sudden spikes in temps. Depending on my settings it can reach 99C for short period of time. This doesn't happen if i am on performance mode or full speed mode while benchmarking CBR15. But while gaming i think it gets hotter, i will have to test next week.
    When you lower TDP, run the CBR15 test and look at your current clock speed ( all six cores at 4GHZ is ideal) if it drops below 4GHZ during the test for some cores then it means that the TDP is too low for that test. Then increase the TDP by 5 untill you you see constant 4GHZ on current clock speed while the test is running. This will give you the best score in CBR15.
    Also i find something interesting while testing. Sometimes after the computer crashed (to agressive undervolt or overclock) the performance mode gets disabled in the Bios. If i try to turn it back on it won't allow me (weird behiavior). The solution i found was: F9 (reset default) and then it allows me to turn it back on. I find that performance mode in bios combined with ThrottleStop undervolting and overclocking gives me better results in cooling and better performance.

4.5GHz is for 1 core only (Turbo).
    4 GHz is for 6 core running at max speed.
    No overclocking possible.
    Marketing stragegy dell and all the others including intel don't explain it very well when it come to sell.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2019
    pinkcs likes this.