*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the information,
    Because only the information of discoloring what I have is from owners of Area 51m and maybe, just maybe dell fix it with m15 R2 :)

2. tomm27

tomm27 Newbie

Reputations:
    In many cases when ppl posted to alienware sub-reddit at the end the reason was they worked with some oil or dust etc so their hands had a very very little dirt but more then normal users so they discolored it much faster. Yep and consider that ppl only complain when something is wrong if you see 10 posts about discoloration they are just the 1% another 99% doesn't even know these forums even exist.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the 99% of users don't know about these forums (surely, 99% is an overestimate), then they don't report whether they have suffered from the issue or not.

Here, we have a small sample of the users of the new laptop design, which is shared between the m15 R2 and the 51M for obvious reasons - (why would they come up with different materials and process for each to achieve the same look), and a significant proportion of the users have complained about the discoloration. To dismiss this would be irrational.

Papusan likes this.
  4. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks

So what I should do, avoid the alienware m15 R2 at all and get just XPS 15, what is approx 500 euro cheaper, but have very weak graphics ?
    Don't like the m15 R2 at black that much like the white one

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm struggling to advise anyone to go ahead with a purchase of the m15 R2 due to the soldered RAM. If this was just down to the chassis, I remember reading warnings of the rubbery coating on my AW 15 R2 being a dirt magnet and ultimately rubbing off. Sure enough, that's what happened. If I didn't need an 8-core CPU I would look into importing the m15 R1, the warranty is global.

6. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I am looking only for a 4K OLED display and i7 9750H what is enough for me, only sad think is the "cheap" graphic at the XPS line, so I was thinking to get instead a m15 R2 because I really do like it at that white color and plus the options for a 2060 graphic, but is much expensive, have "color issue" and solid Ram at mobo, so now I don't know if the XPS or the R2 :(
    Be honest way I don't need a strong graphic, but I was think, if I order the OLED laptop, why not try it with 2060 for light gaming like Dota 2 ...

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BTW Apparently with 4K OLED there is a grey banding issue to consider. Check the m15 R1 thread for a report on this from a user who returned the R2 due to the issue (@smugpanda I believe).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  8. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, the banding on my R2 was bad. However, the R1 with OLED is fine - can see banding, but not severe or noticeable in day to day use. I’m not sure if this is an R2 vs R1 thing or just a standard OLED Panel variability.

I will say that if you like the XPS 15 look, just get the R1 - it’s thicker, but with way better thermal design and massively better GPU options. In online pictures the R1 looks a bit boring and maybe even ugly, but in person gives off a much more classic XPS vibe with excellent fit and finish. The way the lid securely closes on the R1 is vastly better than the R2, which I found to be “floppy” when closed.

Additionally, the 1650 in the XPS 15 paired with a 4K display will be a no go should you ever NEED to run anything at 4K. I realize most games allow you to pick a lower resolution, like 1080P, but some struggle with that (like Civ VI). The 2060 in my M15R1 is able to handle some limited 4K gaming. Further, I’ve found 1440P to be a great middle of the road option that provides a sharpness boost in many titles over 1080P. The 1650 is going to struggle with 1080P gaming, and anything higher is off limits. Further, the M15R1 Maintains the same Thunderbolt 3 port, but then adds Dell’s secret weapon, which is the AGA port for future expansion options.

I think the look, having owned both XPS15 and AW M15R1, is similar when you get it in EPIC Silver. The carbon fiber palm rest of the XPS15 is also different, but at a distant, the material feels similar and looks similar.

Food for thought!

etern4l likes this.
  9. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will add that, if you are savvy enough, reposting and maintaining the R1 is much simpler due to the traditional layout of internal components. After a repaste, undervolt, and combined with raising the back end of the laptop up to increase airflow, and the M15R1 vastly outperformed my R2 in thermal performance. CPU is able to hold 4Ghz in this mode, mostly under 90C during normal gaming. Holds 4Ghz continuous under the unrealistic AIDA/Valley stress test as well, with mid 90s CPU temps.

SO yes, very hot machine, and if I capped the CPU at 3.6Ghz, I’m sure it would be much cooler as well, but I want that sweet 4Ghz continuous all day every day!

10. Scorpik

Scorpik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks lads, but there is only one issue,
    There is no R1 option at dell Ireland :(