*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I would but its getting boxed up. Cant get the damn thing to recognize ethernet cord plugged in. :(

2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It needs a repaste. I had same issues when I got Dell G7 (which has same hardware as Alienware m15 r2 just different chassis and no second m.2 slot). Repasting it with conventional paste dropped temps by about 10-15c. You can use conventional paste - some people in these forums like Phobya Nanogrease Extreme or you can go with liquid metal for best performance.

3. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is there any chance of 32GB RAM becoming available on these machines? If not, the only thing it has going for it is the superior keyboard compared to the competition.

Would also like Windows Hello but meh...

4. Wilhelm_SI

Wilhelm_SI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They said, there won´t be 32 Gb Ram for this machine.

5. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anyone here with the OLED 15"?

I seem to notice screen tearing in games worse with games that run 90-100fps. Didnt seem so bad on my 13r3 OLED. I know vsync will solve it but man playing insurgency sandstorm or BF3/4 capped at 60fps is a disaster waiting to happen to my stats. I know I bought this with intentions using it more for video/photo editing and a daily grab and go. But man when I do want to play a game i want it decent, lol... Might just have to back up and punt..

Nevermind. After testing more it’s really just crappy programming in insurgency sandstorm. COD BO 4 and bf are smooth even at 200fps on 60hz panel. Digging it again

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  6. Austin R Anderson

Austin R Anderson Newbie

Reputations:
    For those that bought either of these, how many of you have had heating issues with the CPU? Mine tried to melt down every time I loaded up Borderlands 3.

17" 144Hz display w/ eye tracking
    i7 9750H
    2070mQ
    16Gb ram

7. Narkoleptik

Narkoleptik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine has been fine playing borderlands and everything so far that I've tried. I have a i9-9880H in a m15 r2. No issues so far.

Austin R Anderson likes this.
  8. Austin R Anderson

Austin R Anderson Newbie

Reputations:
    What are your CPU temps and clock speeds in-game? Mine were riding at 100C and dropped down to 1.2-1.5GHz at times, even on low settings. Fans maxed out. Undervolted to -125mV. It was throttling bad enough to cause severe in-game stutters.

This was after getting all necessary driver/bios updates as well. You should have seen how terribly it performed before I realized I hadn't updated the Nvidia driver yet o_O

9. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To m15 R2 owners, are you happy with your laptop? Any quality issues? How is the thermal (specifically with the i7-9750H)?

10. Dante Rising

Dante Rising Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm happy. Needed to undervolt the CPU slightly, but after doing that she went from throttling @ 100 degrees celsius and now hovers in the high 80s under stress tests. Build Quality is superlative. I have the 240Hz screen and it has no backlight bleed at all. I also purchased a Razer to do a side-by-side, and the Alienware keyboard is vastly superior, although the Razer had less thermal issues. But my understanding is that Razer undervolts at the factory, whereas Alienware does not.