*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Plus they get to rip the customers off by pushing overpriced slow memory on them. No option to just get 8GB, throw the garbage Dell SODIMM away (or push it in eBay) and upgrade with proper memory modules.

That's not actually that helpful either since one needs to upgrade with a module with same timings, which is easiest to ensure by using a RAM kit.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2019
    FXi and CptXabaras like this.
  2. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Etern4l is right. Thinner notebooks than AW's "thin" series are perfectly capable of having ram slots and almost no vendor believes that wifi isn't something that will need to be upgraded over the course of the life of the notebook. It's simply planned obsolescence. None of their super thin corporate designs work this way either. If this is permanently their way of building machines, then AW is simply something I'll no longer purchase.

Terreos, etern4l and Darkhan like this.
  3. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    It's almost as is Frank Azor left because of this. Dell let him make the Area 51m, but told him they were gonna be making changes without his insight. Plus he got facts wrong on the m15 r2 laptop all together when asked about it a couple months ago. He thought it had a single ram upgrade slot. So hopefully him going to AMD means we will see a decent DTR with amd parts and proper upgradable parts, then this might be a good thing in the end.

Not holding my breath though.

c69k likes this.
  4. John566

John566 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone else have a clicking noise from one of their fans? Here is what my right fan sounds like. Do you think I should exchange it?

5. Assault

Assault Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like when my fans came off balance. I believe the bearing goes out or is defective.
    If the rest of the machine and performance are fine, and you want to keep it, you can have Dell warranty the fans using your in-home warranty. I'd call and find out how soon they could get it done. If they give you any crap at all, id just initiate a return.

6. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had such high hopes for the m17 r2. Oh well, I guess I'll take my wallet elsewhere.

7. Assault

Reputations:
    Right now it's at a good price for my use, the 2060 model with 16gb ram costs 1800 after tax, and comes with a $200 gift card. (effectively 1600 after tax) My problems are that asus should be launching its 17.3" 240hz fleet around Sept 15th, and also that Alienwares extended warranty is double the cost of everyone else's for 3 years.

Hard sell.

8. John566

Reputations:
    Thanks. I bought it at BestBuy and it has the old WiFi card and the 2070. It think I’ll just return this one and order a new one from Dell with the new WiFi and 2080 while I’m at it.

9. John566

Reputations:
    Wow. With Dell’s Labor Day sale I was able to get the 2080 and new WiFi card for less than the 2070 and old WiFi at BestBuy.

10. Assault

Reputations:
    Very nice. Debating purchasing one myself. On the BestBuy model, was the screen bright as I hear, around 400 nits?