*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 R2 / m17 R2 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by alexnvidia, Jun 30, 2019.

1. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since there aren't much discussion in both R1 threads for m15 and m17, might as well combine them into one thread.

For those unaware, m15 / m17 R2 are alienware's latest thin and light laptops based on the "Legend" design language, basically what you see on the awesom Area-51m. Being a thin and light, there are sacrifices need to be made. Below are the summary of Pros and Cons

Pros
    1. Thinner and lighter than Area-51m, cost less
    2. Supports 2 M.2 NVMe SSD
    3. Tobii eye tracking on both 15" and 17" models
    4. Panel options for 15" goes from 60Hz to 240Hz IPS, all the way to OLED 4K. 17" gets 144Hz FHD IPS eye safe.
    5. Better VRM design for improved power delivery
    6. Supports CPU all the way to Core i9 9980HK
    7. Alienware Graphics AMP supported
    8. Legend design with thin bezels looks awesome
    9. Improved thermals (More fan blades, PCH actively cooled, bigger heatpipes) ???

Cons
    1. soldered everything. Literally. nothing is upgradable except SSD. RAM, WiFi, CPU, GPU all soldered.
    2. maxed out at 16GB DDR4 soldered RAM only
    3. No option for 2.5" bay
    4. weak max Q crap GPU for 2070 and above
    5. Inverted motherboard design (pain in the axx to service and repaste)
    6. Battery reduced in capacity
    7. No Windows Hello despite having tobii eye tracking
    8. No G-Sync

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    FXi likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will anyone even buy this? Let's hope they blame it on Azor and cancel this dud.

3. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    maybe that's the reason why Azor left the company. He just couldn't accept the thin and light direction alienware is taking now due to market pressure.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    I think we should give this laptop a chance even though its wearing a max q badge. with the 8 phase VRM for GPU, it might just be a champ in performance. Razer certainly defy all odds with their latest Blade pro 17 which performs like a full RTX GPU even with a max q badge, so i was kind of hoping alienware can pull off the same trick.

Darkhan likes this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The laptop is a non-starter for any discerning customers, and Alienware already posted the middling internal benchmark results. More importantly, the product represents a lurch in the wrong direction and as such should be heavily penalised by the brand's fans to send a message.

I wouldn't mind their making us a 15inch variant of the 51M, with a 90Whr battery and configurable Optimus - could be a worthy successor to the AW15.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Azor have also been the big boss for the XPS line. Thin and lightweight has been in his blood the last +5 years. I doubt this.
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/bga-venting-thread.798775/page-222#post-10919285

His tweet about the new thin and slimmer model... "couldn't accept the thin and light direction alienware is taking"
    upload_2019-7-2_5-31-8.png
    https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1136642607713595393

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    FXi, jclausius, etern4l and 1 other person like this.
  8. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The wifi is using a daughterboard from what I could tell and there is space enough to make it a removable M2. Ram is harder but it also could be fixed in at least the 17 model, but would take a redesign. The inverted mobo is kind of crazy (well additional to all the rest) but Asus has models with Liquid metal from the factory. AW could easily do at least premium paste for next to no additional cost and then perhaps the inverted mobo wouldn't be quite as disappointing. Pads could be part of the same premium process. Honestly shouldn't this just be automatically done on anything 2070 or higher and 9850 and higher?

I can't help but wonder if this beast will make for a sales plummet and get replaced. The Wifi selling right now is 8950 which is idiotically 2 full generations behind the AX200 series. At every turn this model says "why".

And of course you could just give up and go with Razer or MSI or Asus. At least those folks understand that wifi cards get replaced and cooling shouldn't be this mess of poorly bent loose pipes buried under an inverted motherboard (to hide the condition of the pipes?).

etern4l likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Sometimes the truth is extremely painful. And, some people have no problem saying they love you, but seemingly derive great satisfaction from the pain they inflict.

triturbo, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  10. alexnvidia

Reputations:
    while i totally agree with the backward directions (soldered RAM, WiFi, etc refer to con list above) alienware has taken for their m15/17 R2 series, i'm also curious on how well (or bad) it performs.

what are the real world benefits of that 8+6 phase VRMs for GPU+CPU, what real thermal improvements have they made in order to justify the heavy sacrifice they made.

FXi likes this.