*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. Would make sense if Dave2D's initial impressions were correct.

Plus, with all the damn venting this thing has it should run much cooler in my book. Something just is not right.

2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Going to the link brings me to the Dell deals site.... Can I get a new link? To the forum post about the heat sink?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. B0B

B0B Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope this is the case but at the same time how badly will this impact consumer perception...

billycuth likes this.
  4. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    His link is fine. I ran into this yesterday with a different link. You can't go to them through Tapatalk - it takes you to the Dell deals site. If you follow the link from a browser, it should take you there (it does on my PC anyway).

Interesting finding. I'm not sure I would want to gamble on the tech replacing the HS (mine definitely runs hot without my tweaking) unless I was really unhappy with temps.

5. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Watching that OwnOrDisown video makes me glad I didn't bother paying extra for HIDEvolution to get an m15 with the LM and repad treatment. I had read another thread recently on reddit about someone that had just gotten a laptop from them (different model) and was having temp problems in the 90's despite having the LM treatment from HID. I have read several good reports on HID here on NBR (they post helpful information on here often as well), but seeing these anecdotes gave me enough hesitation that I decided to buy direct and do the repaste myself. I would expect the CPU to run much cooler under a professionally done LM/repad job. The GPU ran very cool pretty much the whole time I think (not a shocker). I appreciate how detailed the guy on the video is - testing many combinations, etc.

Edit: It could just be a mix-up/misunderstanding on whether or not the laptop in the video had gotten the LM treatment as well. We have no way of knowing for sure.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    dreamcat4 and TheCloudX like this.
  6. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still struggling to justify what I paid for mine. Thinking about sending it back and just not getting anything right now.

B0B and propeldragon like this.
  7. Scrublor

Scrublor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope that Alienware is onto it and will update the bios further to modify CPU usage, there's no reason it should be hitting high 90c under stress tests with the way the heatsinks/fans are.

8. turbo87

turbo87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Might be a good idea, with the RTX laptops being introduced at CES in Jan. There might be some good options for laptops. But you would be looking at Feb for the earliest releases I guess.

9. Digits

Digits Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you really think that RTX laptops won't come with bleeding edge pricing and 1st-gen thermal solutions?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

B0B likes this.
  10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think we can all agree here those rtx laptops won't be worth it for the price they ask at the beginning. Plus it's worth noting that 1070 is more than enough for 1080p gaming. Maybe even a 1080 Max q if you really wanna push it. Pascal prices are getting cheaper by the day and the performance gap between Maxwell and Pascal is WAY bigger than Pascal to Turing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

billycuth, B0B and Digits like this.