*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just subbed your YT channel. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

B0B likes this.
  2. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well... i just tested my other games and I never went above 94c on CPU, and never above 76c on GPU. I think that's actually livable since my main use will not be gaming.

However, I'm leaning towards returning right now because this thing is just too warm to even use comfortably when not even in a game. I just compared it to my 2014 MBP 13" and XPS 13 and it definitely gets warmer than both by a noticeable margin. I plan on letting cool off in sleep mode then trying again just to make sure it's just not having trouble cooling back down after gaming, but my gut tells me it's not that.

3. swordofsilence

swordofsilence Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's my only remaining concern with the m15 is non-gaming temps. It seems to want to have the fans off at idle, which makes the CPU run at about 55 and the bottom of the chassis is fairly warm. I don't mind in the winter, but it will drive me crazy in the summer.

I dealt with this on my 15r3 by having a custom fan curve via HWInfo64 so that the fan is going at a low speed at idle, keeping the CPU around 40 and the chassis nice and cool.

I'm just hoping Dell with either update the BIOS to support fan speed control or will fix AWCC so that the user-defined fan profiles actually work. If that hasn't changed by Christmas, I'll be sending in a ticket/bug report about it. Worst case scenario, I can run the fans at full speed periodically during the summer months to keep it from being too hot for my lap.

4. Tweak155

Reputations:
    I'm really just in search of a Thin & Light 15" laptop with a full kb that includes num pad. I thought that since this laptop wasn't that much more than other options, I could also get the perk of gaming. But now I'm not sure where to look.. the full sized KB seems to be the lacking requirement on the popular options like XPS 15 and Lenovo X1 Extreme.

I see the T580 has a deal and it's at least under 5lbs... really want this M15 to work though!! It's a nice package otherwise :(

EDIT:

And in my case, it's the top of the KB & palmrest I have issue with, the bottom can get warm all it wants in my case... but I don't feel a ton of difference between the bottom & top right now.

5. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Might want to try an undervolt. I used the below guide to do mine. I'm at work, so I can't game on it, but quick benchmarks show promise. Before undervolting, the same benchmark I hit 100c easily, after a -.150 benchmark the highest was 77c. This is a very, very short test, I'll do more later tonight, but shows promise. I might not even repaste if this is where they are hitting for me.

Guide: https://www.notebookcheck.net/How-t...ife-The-ThrottleStop-Guide-2017.213140.0.html

Tweak155 likes this.
  6. JediTreasley

JediTreasley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell just canceled my order. Probably because I used $100 worth of rewards, got %15 off, and used another $50 off code. Greedy pricks didn’t want to deliver. Tried to reorder and they said that I couldn’t use the previous $100 rewards or the 15% discount. I could use my military 10% but that’s it. So I think I’ll sideline this endeavor for now. I’m so mad.

7. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    Are you freaking kidding me? OK, so it’s just a matter of time then. I’ll let you know what happens with mine.

8. Tweak155

Reputations:
    I wonder if there is a common component being ordered for all these people getting cancellations?

9. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:
    I have thought about this and if I had to guess based on that question, it's the 512gb pcie ssd.

billycuth likes this.
  10. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All the order issues I have seen is due to the 512 pcie. I ordered mine with it. The one that shipped with mine is a Toshiba KXG50ZNV512G.