*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. JediTreasley

JediTreasley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also really reaaallly wanted to like the G7, but like you said the screen was incredibly bad. When I would open any of the 3 I tested it would give off this cheap plastic bending sound. Basically the vessels on the bottom was separating from the bottom of the screen. Sounded like crinkling tape. Terrible. And the 230 nits was atrocious. The 2nd replacement I had had a ticking fan. Third replacement I had had a warped bottom panels where the tabs were already all broke. I was almost laughing out loud by the 3rd return. I’m glad I got the Alienware m15 for basically $1100 after discounts and rewards. Makes me feel really comfy.

I’d say my second fav of all tested was the Razer Blade. But I couldn’t justify $1700-$2000 for a gutted model when much cheaper and better supported laptops existed. And all the nightmare stories of Razer customer service scared me. I called them just to see if I could fake the funk and gauge their service - it was laughably bad. Say why you want about Dells outsourcing but at least they try and make you happy and fix the issue. The Alienware 15r4 was great but seemed super dated and got incredibly hot.

2. goombaypunch2

goombaypunch2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Razer Blade Stealth that I love, super well built and runs great. Got it on amazon a little over a year and a half ago for 899.00 on sale. I just couldn't bring my self to pay the Razer price for what I got in the Alienware M15. It would be 2799.00 for a comparable system to what my Alienware M15 has in it and I paid 1800.00. Just makes no sense. And now that I have this system in my hands I think there is no difference in build quality either. Just gave the Razer Blade Stealth to my daughter since I wont need it any more and it works great for her to use at school.

JediTreasley likes this.
  3. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So after my first gaming weekend with my wife I've really enjoyed the m15, 1070 mq with red screen and 8GB ram (I know not enough I have some in the mail) added 970 Evo 1tb. So far I love the screen the GPU runs great for a max q. My only other use of a 1070 is with my 17r3 and AGA on the laptop screen. GTA V most of the weekend and few hrs of Forza Horizon 4. Few slow downs but looking at stats memory is always around 95-98% I'll rereun everything after my ram comes on December 3rd.
    This CPU runs hot it's hit 100c before undervolt. It'll still hit mid 80s I would really like to get this temps down. Should I look toward a repaste and pads? I've never done it on any of my pcs. My 17r3 is 3 years and going strong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I too got a shipping notification today.

5. Arsalonious

Arsalonious Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just ordered mine with a nice $200 discount.

I chose the GTX 1060 and the 144hz screen. All else the same and I will upgrade the 1tb hard drive to an SSD M.2 NVMe.

All for under $1400 out the door with expedited delivery. Should be shipped on Dec. 4th. I couldn't justify a 1070 max-Q for 200 more. I would rather throw that towards better Memory or Storage.

Anyone know the exact make of the standard 8gb memory that comes with the m15?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is indeed interesting, I've already seen the last video and that's why I was convinced to take the 1070max-q as I plan to play the games which benefit from it the most and keep it for at least 4 years.
    What was the performance difference between the 1060 and 1070 in the 15R4? I think those models had different heatsinks, I wonder if it's the same for the m15.

Does anyone know if the only difference between the FHD screens is the refresh rate? It seems like that from the description.

7. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Which one had the best build quality?

8. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry guys, been away for a few days. I had a nightmare with the m15 windows installation to the point where it would no longer even boot. Between that and the high temps I decided to return it. I had a phone call from Dell today and they offered me a further 10% cash back to keep it! So with the cost now dropping to £1600 for an i7/1070/144hz/16gb/256gb/nebula red with a vindicator bag I have decided to keep it, give it a repaste and fresh wndows install.

9. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    (note to self, no matter what I will be having a hard time installing windows)

lol

10. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haha I did enjoy the completing the fresh install this afternoon knowing that Dell were paying me £100 an hour to do it :)