*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. goombaypunch2

goombaypunch2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Also I noticed on the video Dave 2d posted the laptop had copper heatsink over the 2 nvme drives. That is not the case with production models in case anyone is wondering. I wonder what else they did different with the sample he was sent? My thermals were not as good as his eaither until my 0.150 undervolt

2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got the 144 hz screen, I hope I can push 110 fps with an overclock to the gpu.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. JediTreasley

JediTreasley Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I got the following spec'd out m15:

i7-8750h
    16gb ram
    256 ssd (dropping in the new WD nvme 3600/s / 2500/s)
    GTX 1060
    144hz screen
    90 wah battery

I specifically got this spec because
    a) I wanted to control my own ssd, and have a second m.2 ssd for a few specific games.
    b) GTX 1060 over the Max-Q 1070 because after watching videos and using two different laptops I came to the conclusion that for 5%-15% more gpu power for $200 in a laptop already limited in cooling wasn't a huge deal to me, and I have a GTX 2070 for my future AGA. I saw 3 videos on youtube where people had better overall experiences with a 1060 in a laptop over the 1070 Max-Q.
    c) I got this puppy for $1320 after discounts. Plus down to $1100 with my available rewards. Pretty excited about this.

4. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you tell me which laptops you compared? I would like to read more about this before buying, nut all in all, I think the 1070 max-q may be a better option for the future due to more cuda cores and memory bandwidth.

5. JediTreasley

Reputations:
    So I’ve tested the following all in the last 3 months:

-Alienware 15r4 w/ 1060 and 1070

-Razer Core 15 2018 w/ 1060 and my buddies 1070 (both non base models)

-Dell G7 w/ 1060 max q

-Aero 15x with 1060 and 1070

And finally (but not really relevant) XPS 9570.

The difference between even a max q 1060 vs max q 1070 is just not that much for me to warrant $200 and thermal headroom.

I also watched videos such as:

And

6. JediTreasley

Reputations:
    Landed on the m15 due to my friend having one and loving the build quality, 144hz screen and the power of his 1060 and thermals.

7. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just got real. Laptop has been shipped. Have next business day delivery, so hoping for tomorrow. Fedex shows pending details though, so we'll see.

8. JediTreasley

Reputations:
    Lucky..mine isn’t ‘suppose’ to be here until Dec 3rd

9. TheCloudX

Reputations:
    I picked up the one with the 1070, but I debated on the 1060. I ended up going 1070 mainly to just ensure I have it while on the road. That said, I too tried out the G7 and also a Razer Blade, both with 1060s. I didn't have any issues with FPS or gaming performance.

I really wanted to like the G7, although heavier than wanted the price to performance was good. Ultimately it was returned for two issues - 1) the side edges were very sharp and uncomfortable for my wrists/arms. Yes, I could have used a keyboard with it and called it a day, but I should be able to use my laptop as designed and 2) screen is really, really poor quality. And, yes, I know I could swap screens but I like stock and shouldn't have to do that for a new machine. Everything else was good. Thermals and fan noise. It did get hot and loud, but not as bad as others made it out to be. I was able to game in my hotel and be on discord without a hiccup.

The other, a Razer Blade "base" model, got stupid hot just using it for every day uses. But what killed it was off battery performance was poor. I could do more on my old aging laptop than I could that off battery. I've seen others have this problem and others not have the problem, so look more like Razer's famed QA issues.

10. TheCloudX

Reputations:
    Hopefully it will get there sooner. Mine was supposed to be here on the 28th, so 1-2 days earlier is fine by me. That said, I have been waiting since day 1 when I placed my order.