*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I happened to bench CB20 a few days ago (8750h), and even though it can hold the max 3.9GHz all the time, the score is still 100 points lower than the record, although that was the result of the first security patch a while back.

kahuna0k likes this.
  2. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you checked your package power usage with Throttlestop, I suppose that if it can sustain it is below 60W. Mine will go below 60W as soon as throttled to 3.9 (the 9750 should be able to keep 4.0). What is "the security patch a while back" that you mention? I missed that.

3. etern4l

Reputations:
    56W
    One of the BIOS updates way back. Sorry not sure which one. I'm on 2.4.1 but it was one of the earlier ones that caused this perf hit.

kahuna0k likes this.
  4. kahuna0k

Reputations:
    Is the CTRL+ESC to enter recovery bios still working in newer BIOS? I'm trying to help a friend undervolt his m15 (bios 2.6.0) and to do so I'm trying to flash back to an older one using the recovery method but it does not work. If a hold press CTRL+ESC and connect the AC power the machine will boot, then I have a black screen for around 10 seconds or so and the it continue with the normal boot. Doing the same thing in my laptop (m15 with 2.1.1) gives me the BIOS recovery screen every time.

5. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no harm done with a fresh install. I'd actually recommend it.

6. rockelino

rockelino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cool, so with a fresh Windows 10 install - I'd need to re-install all the Dell/Alienware software manually, correct (laptop management, fan profiles, etc.)?

7. etern4l

Reputations:
    BIOS 2.7.0 is out with intriguing release notes:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/e...oscode=wt64a&productcode=alienware-m15-laptop

- Updated the default setting of Battery Charge Configuration in the BIOS to Primarily AC Use.

I'm currently on 2.4.1 and wondering whether to roll the dice.
    If anyone has tried this, please advise if undervolting still works, and whether the Primarily AC charging option is actually available in BIOS.

8. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Updated my m15's BIOS, and it does add "Primarily AC Use" in the BIOS under Battery Configuration Setting. Can't comment on undervolting because I'm still trying to unlock for my laptop.

etern4l likes this.
  9. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You'll need to reinstall AWCC (Alienware Command Center), AWCC Overclocking tools, all the Intel drivers, and your Nvidia driver. I recommend not installing Dell's SupportAssist application or the Alienware variant of the same bloated nonsense. You are totally okay blowing out the recovery partition when you clean install Windows. The only reason that partition exists is to restore the laptop to a factory image, which is basically what you're doing with a USB drive.

10. kahuna0k

Reputations:
    I've updated (as the Primary AC Use is very important for me) and I can still undervolt, but I have a 8950HK, I don't know if that makes a difference. I also have another m15 with 9750H on BIOS 2.1.1 and I've not updated that one, as I'm going to sell it, the new user will decide :).

After checking the new offers from the different vendors and where are we going I decided to get a 8950HK with 2080 max-Q for cheap and just stay in the last "upgradable" laptop for as long as I can.

Also, you can downgrade from 2.7.0 to any BIOS over 2.0 without problems.

etern4l likes this.