*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Anthony1891

Anthony1891 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just ordered a M15 R3 with i7-10750/RTX2070 SUPER/1TB/32GB RAM/300Hz Screen last week and i cant be more excited for it to get here! upgraded from the former A15 R3 with GTX 1070! anybody else with the same spec as me please tell me what you like/dislike about it! :)

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe the r2 had soldered RAM and most people disliked that, for good reason. I tried to see if the r3 was soldered, but I guess there isn't much info on the r3 yet as far as that goes. But from what I saw from reviews, the temps should be wayyy better on the r3. Almost like they took some tips and fixed the heatsink problems

3. Anthony1891

Anthony1891 Newbie

Reputations:

yeah that's why i went with the R3 because i heard the heating issue was fixed...also i wasn't 100% sure if the R3 was soldered or not so that's why i went with 32GB just incase bc i'm never going to need more than 32GB RAM....i'm so excited for this laptop to get here!!!

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Dell is still pushing the soldered RAM.

Hope you are aware that likely massively faster RTX 3070 laptops will be available in a couple of months.

illuMinniti likes this.
  5. Anthony1891

Anthony1891 Newbie

Reputations:
    i'm aware but i doubt the laptops will be out for another 6+months and i needed a new laptop now....worst case i buy an AGA and an RTX 30X0 to use while i'm home :vbthumbsup:

6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Estimating based on the RTX release timeline, new laptops should be out in early Q1. Covid doesn't seem to be slowing things down here.

jc_denton likes this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The R3 is soldered RAM as well, but at least you have the option of 32gb this time around.

8. kqmaverick

kqmaverick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can not got my CPU thermals under control. I have undervolted, repasted and have laptop on a CPU cooler and I still have 2 cores getting locked at 100C when running Cinebench. Any recommendations other than trying to get Alienware to replace the cooler?

9. etern4l

Reputations:
    What paste did you use? Can try repadding using soft pads, such as Gelid GP Extreme. These might provide less resistance thus increasing heatsink pressure. Be super-careful with those heatsink screws, they are fairly poor quality and therefore prone to stripping. I arrived just short of 100C in CB20 using these and Phobya NGE (on a cooler).

10. kqmaverick

kqmaverick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have tried grizzly kryonaut & Mx-4. I have noticed the screws stripping a bit. What is weird at first when I repasted I was good but temps have been climbing since. I also made sure cooler ports are clear so it’s not built up dust.