*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, didn't know that. But at least I have my own experience, the experiences from reputable people here confirming it and then of course the many posts on the internet (which can be questionable tbh). It's even funnier because I bought the monitor right before my birthday so it was a easy date to remember when the warranty would expire.. but ASUS website said June and I was born mid-July. It's a shame cuz the monitor (VG248QE) performs extremely well with lightboost, but so do many nowadays. So it's not like anybody is missing anything by choosing a high refresh-rate Alienware, Dell, Acer, BenQ, etc. Some of these companies (Apple, ASUS) really aren't noticing all manufacturers are putting out good quality stuff nowadays and they think its ok to just completely screw people or put out trash and people will go right back to them.

2. AcE Krystal

AcE Krystal Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Earlier experience with Dell/Alienware wasn't good for me either. In first 2 month paint started chipping of from the powder coated hinges. Even though I had bought premium on-side warranty support it still took me many mails en calls before they replaced it. I'm sooo carfull with this thing, but the paint just rubbed from going into a soft-shell or even when you rubbed it with your finger.
    20180109_204549r.jpg
    Dell kept saying it did not impact the functioning of the machine so no warranty was needed. I needed to make a comparison to a just bought car where the paint started falling off. After that they tryed to let met pay €157,50 for repair on-site, even though I had already paid for premium-on site support.

A year later the screen started failing. I got a new screen under warranty without much problems this time.
    20180721_173817r.jpg

And now @2,5/3 year old ~2 evenings a week 3D modeling/gaming the €1300 mainboard just shorts and they say I need to buy a new one.They feel zero responsibility for designing it in a way that gives very high risks for laptops becoming total loss if just a single mainboard component fails. They also don't want to look into repairing it... customers need to pay the full prince (incl. profit for dell I guess). I have no problem spending some money a year to keep it alive. But when this is not possible because of there design choices I expect them to really trust what they are doing, stand behind there choices, and have a graceful policy for the very few cases that do fail unexpected from an design / expected life standpoint.

I can't deny all to positive reviews and customers of older alienware's. It convinced me to go for Alienware too while I made fun of Alienware in the past as an DIY builder. Now that I work I just wanted the best for my work and free time. And there isn't really a DIY laptop build option. But in my experience they still build awesome ridged devices, but Alienware/Dell lost there hearts for it and the image that it carried.

darkgamer_gs likes this.
  3. Not RealName

Not RealName Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So... in throttlestop, when you modify the PL1 and PL2..... how does that interact with the AWCC modes where balanced is pl1 45w, pl2 65w, cool is something esle.. etc? Won't those all start to conflict?

I mean, which setting will take priority? throttlestop or awcc?

4. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am confused, if you have premium warranty they will ship the part same day (if its available) and in 1-2 days you will have someone at your house doing the repair. This applies to something as dumb as complaining about heat and telling them their thermal paste was bad or if there is a problematic fan. I assume it could even be a motherboard replacement. My first 15R3 I had someone 'repaste' and they accidentally broke the connection on the WiFi card, so he then put in the new order for the new replacement for that himself. And funnily since the 15R3 was way more of a pain than the m15r1, the next person had to take apart the screen to re-route the new wires for the new WiFi chip, since the gold contact was ripped off the card and stuck inside the cable.

If its under warranty, they are obligated to fix stuff like that, something doesn't add up with what you are saying. Maybe the paint thing isn't covered, cuz like they said it doesn't impact performance. But it looks just like my 15R3 and I took that to work and over people's houses many times while using it for 8+hrs/day and it performed as well as a desktop and no chipped paint anywhere even sliding it in and out of bookbags

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It think those AWCC settings only affect fan profiles, I've never noticed any other effects.

Spartan likes this.
  6. Not RealName

Not RealName Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    upload_2020-4-2_7-51-29.png
    Well, the HWinfo plot shows pl1 going from balanced, to cool, to quiet to performance back to balanced.... so it looks like balanced is pl1 of 60w, quiet and cool give pl1 as 45w, and performance gives a ridiculous 75w pl1.

darkgamer_gs likes this.
  7. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What happened to BIOS 2.3.0? That's the BIOS I'm running, it has a quieter fan curve than 2.2.1. That could impact benchmarks a bit but doesn't impact actual performance at all. As soon as the CPU gets hot enough it keeps the fan at maximum speed. I'm still getting ~60W out of the CPU with no throttling for extended periods of time with temps around 85C (liquid metal). 2.2.1 was also good but much louder (and cooler) under light load. Why would they remove a BIOS version from their page? Only 2.4.1, 2.2.1 and earlier are available.

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Does your power button light work while you're on BIOS 2.3.0?

9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep, no problem with the lights. I have an external USB keyboard connected to the AGA and it seems that this disables the light of the laptop keyboard, but the power button works as expected all the time. Also when not connected to the AGA the keyboard backlight works normally.

10. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations: