*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh, then 2.4.1 worked completely fine for me with undervolting with TS. Though I went back to 2.2.1 because the fan noise was the best for my enjoyment of the laptop. I'm surprised they even thought the fan curve of 2.1.1 was acceptable.

I actually have no idea where to even set up the macros for the laptop. I never use the keyboard. I saw a area in Alienware Command Center for 'macros' yet it had no options to customize them. I feel like they really need to work on the AWCC. I'm afraid if I touch it at all it'll start running some OCControl service @10% cpu usage again /facepalm

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 12:00 AM
  2. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have that freezing problem too. I think it's because of unnecessary apps which creates conflicts on windows. Clean installation might work. Or if you put one single channel 32 gb ram instead 16x16 dual channel ram, it might be one of the reasons too.
    About macros, couldn't figure it out either. Let us know if you find sth new. I wıll too.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've only seen desktop freezing in the following situations:

* Too much GPU undervolt - this is usually followed by a Windows popup saying that the driver stopped responding
    * Too much CPU undervolt - don't remember if that required a reboot or not
    Edit: Nope, that bluescreens
    * To mention the obvious - exteme system load, in particular memory overload or a process running at high priority taking up all the resources

I don't think such freezes should ever occur in a healthy system operating under low load.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    darkgamer_gs likes this.
  4. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    You should check your temps with HWiNFO or something. I had this problem when gaming for a long time, which seemed to be due to the PCH getting extremely hot. But that was just in gaming, you didn't mention gaming. Kinda depends on the intensive tasks, its pretty hard to heat up the PCH without doing intensive stuff for a while.

5. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Alienware Command Center v5.2.81.0

Fixes
    - Fixed Alienware Command Center truncating some device names.
    - Fixed in Fusion tab the power drop down box would show blank power plan.
    - Fixed no error message shown when shortcut macro has its target file deleted or moved.
    - Fixed repeatedly and quickly clicking on FX tab cause Alienware Command Center to close.
    - Fixed wording for Active System Theme on G-Series systems.
    - Fixed Alienware Sound Center produced static noise from internal speakers when unplugging USB headset

illuMinniti, darkgamer_gs and etern4l like this.
  6. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I agree that's why putting system in a healthy working behaviour is important. It's really weird that they are shipping this faulty units to people and don't find any workaround for it.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Papusan thanks for the heads up on some possible tinkering around undervolting in the latest 2.4.1 BIOS. Fortunately, it still works, but there are some behaviour changes. Dynamic undervolt is now stable at -170mV rather than -160mV for some reason. Static undervolt is way different: previously the optimal voltage was 0.8477V, now I had to take it up to 0.9844V.
    In terms of performance, there is about 1% hit in CB20 with static undervolt, and 2-3% hit in dynamic undervolt (even when running at -170mV). Previously I was getting 3060 score, now I managed 3030 in static mode (in this mode my max temp is 94C, clocks run at 3.9GHz and there is no throttling of any kind) and 2985 in dynamic mode. With the previous BIOS, my CB20 results would be the same with static and dynamic UV, albeit static mode would run cooler.

Now installing the latest AWCC. Wish me luck :D
    Edit: no issues with new AWCC so far, CB20 results are the same :)
    Edit 2: I should mention that I also upgraded CB20, but assuming no changes affecting benchmark results.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    Papusan and Spartan like this.
  8. Not RealName

Not RealName Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, need some advice / help.

My stupid m15 automatically updated the bios to 2.4.1, all by itself. Fine,,,, whatever... except now the fans don't ramp up fast enough, during gaming I end up running at an average of over 90C with the damn fans only at 85%, and massive throttling ensues. (older bios did not have this issue)

With the previous bios version, the fans would be at 100% almost all the time gaming, which I needed to keep the processor from turning to lava.

Can anyone tell me which bios version had the more responsive fans, and since it auto updated, can I re-install the old version and stop it from auto updating?

9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Sounds like 2.1.1 - I had just tried that earlier this week cuz someone said it performed better, and I am sure it does, because it sounds like the fans are set to airplane mode 24/7 bringing the CPU and GPU below 38C lol

10. Not RealName

Not RealName Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah, cool, thanks!

I may go back to that one, but may try throttlestop first too.