*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly forgot about those tap touchpad clicks but I still feel like the buttonless touchpads look cheap and are annoying to use. Of course like you said, you can also tap or tap with 2 fingers for a right click. On the last gen 15s and 17s you had both and the touchpad had a LED that looked really nice.

darkgamer_gs likes this.
  2. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even though other comments in here, i believe both trackpads have different type of experience. Yeah for the trackpad which has click button separate, it’s easier to press for left or right click. But with the trackpad which has click button inside, it’s easier to scroll and navigate. And with precision drive, i find easier to click too. But i wish instead mechanical click, they could have put virtual click like Apple. It could prevent fingers to get tired easily.

illuMinniti likes this.
  3. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello,

sorry if this question has been asked and answered a lot of times.

I recently picked up a brand new M15 R1 for a very cheap price
    Core i7-9750H
    RTX™ 2070 Max-Q
    OLED UHD
    dual 512 nvme's
    240W Power Adaptor
    90 WHr, 6-Cell Battery

then put in 32gb ram and a 1t nvme M.2 my self.

I am not comfortable with re-pasting it.

What i was wondering was: if there specific settings that i can just set the undervolting and such futzing with it too much

or if there are any recommendations that i should do.

4. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    These are my settings. Your CPU I am unsure about, you should be able to get around the same voltage. Whether you start below and work up, or start the same and go lower is up to you. Most people go lower and then go up.

As for the GPU, this undervolt + core clock combo actually results in better 2070 Max-Q performance, temps and lower power draw. As always, yours may differ with stability. (this was after a reboot, temps prove nothing, just showing for voltages)
    [​IMG]

c69k likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    c69k and etern4l like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    One can also disable and lock turbo power limits, and then set the power limits in TPL section.

I'm on 2.4.1 - no issues with M2, will bench later. FWIW Battery drain is good.

Had some issues with GPU fan alerts, something this BIOS is supposed to address, but it seems like it started happening after I let support assist install some drivers. Never again.

Edit: reinstalling latest drivers from the website solved the fan ePSA alert issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  7. darkgamer_gs

darkgamer_gs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know if you have typed undervolting for m15 r1 but if you didn't my suggestion would be
    From Intel XTU start stress test fro 15 minutes. Wait for 5 minutes to see how your default settings behave Then start to decrease your voltage offset without closing the test. Try to find the value which will bring stable high frequency and stable lower temperatures. And please before install too much thing make a clean windows installation. There are some unnecessary amount of software which comes in box.

I haven't try to older bios cause mine came with 2.3.1 but i feel that laptop performs slower than it should do. I will try the older bios and will update with results.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2020
  8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I updated to 2.4.1, 6 days ago and everything seems fine. Fan def seems more sensitive than the BIOS I used before this, which wasn't very old. Undervolting seems to work fine, at least TS doesn't throw any errors. Will TS show an error if this plundervolt is conflicting? I completely forgot about that, its possible that it is preventing the undervolt, giving the impression they changed the fan curve. My NVME 970 Evo has also been working fine with 2.4.1 on my m15r1

Edit: Went back to 2.2.1 - system is way more quiet. I am not moving from 2.2.1. Compared to 2.4.1 and 2.1.1, its like the laptop is turned off VS a PS4 after hours of gameplay.

Also, does anyone know how to stop AWCC from popping up saying "hey you need the latest OCControls" or w/e. A week a go I noticed this OCControls service using 10% CPU constantly, upon Goolging it I also saw it happened to many people. I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest AWCC and the problem went away. But now I have no reason to want the OCControls service or even install it, since its useless, even the AGA works with simply the AWCC.

I actually have no idea what this means, I've never played with it but I will search about it if it means potentially quieter/better performing laptop, thanks. Anyone with edited TS TPL settings that are effective that I can use when searching about this? I see how it can reduce wattage to lower temps and noise easy. But the Primary Power Plane Limits and below seems confusing

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Geek

Reputations:

thank you that is a big help

two more questions:
    I have noticed that sometimes when i hear the fan turn on the computer randomly would freeze for a solid 1-2seconds. no mouse or keys input at all. Then it would continue as normal no errors or visual artifacts is this common?

the 2nd is about the macro keys: i have tried googling this and going through lots of post but could not get a solution. I want to program the macro keys to lower and raise volume and lower or raise screen brightness. when i run keystroke/record macro and use the key combo Fn+F4 it instead returns "C" or sometimes "Alt+C" and if i try "Fn +F5" i get "B" or "Alt+B" if alt started. is there a way to bind the macro keys to these?

10. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    See this example... If the -125mv offset doesn't show up in the monitoring window <Offset> on right this means undervolt is locked out.
    [​IMG]