*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not saying it's not normal to hear some coil whine, but mine makes none. And I hate coil whine, I even bought a bunch of ferrite beads to put on electronics around the house to avoid any kind of electric noise, because it annoys me. Some coil whine is likely normal, but this person is hearing it very noticeably during use (with fans running) which isn't normal

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Support advised it's harmless coil whine. Quite annoying though, now that they fixed the fan issue making the laptop otherwise quiet when relatively idle.

4. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Coil whine is a byproduct of power passing through electronic components and making them vibrating and resonating. It is harmless, but annoying. If i recall correctly from several years back (amd Athlon XP 1700+ years back :D), there was someone suggesting to apply transparent paint / nails polish over the culprit component to reduce the amount o whine they produce. Never tried myself to be honest.

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Worth a shot, I've read about the merits of drowning the culprit in K5Pro. I guess I'm not clear on how to identify the exact culprit, or how to prevent K5Pro from dislocating and going flying all over the laptop's internals.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    CptXabaras likes this.
  6. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    As a user of K5 Pro (on cpu and gpu as a barrier to prevent eventual LM spillage & on the VRM instead of thermal pads) i can safely tell you that is not going to fly around over the laptop internals. That thing is pretty sticky and thick. On the other hand i don't know how would it work to prevent a component from vibrating/resonating vs transparent paint/nail polish that will actually dry out and become a sort of hard coating. But hey, i guess is worth a try if you manage to find the whining component, that's it. On a side note, either i am hearing impaired or my m15 is really silent/got lucky with component behaving and not whining over being energized :D (j/k)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    c69k and etern4l like this.
  7. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations:

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the hope might be that one can apply a generous amount of K5 Pro, perhaps - 3-5mm over suspect components and that would dampen the noise? According to you, there would be no risk of those blobs falling or dripping off etc. The question though would be what to apply this to? There are a few large suspect chips to the right of RAM. And above battery connector, plus maybe a few others under the heatsink that aren't covered with pads.

Another question: if the approach fails, how easy is it to remove K5 Pro?

c69k likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It think this was said here a few dozen times already: ca. - 160mV dynamic undervolt alone brings max short power down to around 60W (at 3.9GHz), the static voltage trick reduces temp further 5-10C, albeit that doesn't translate to any significant improvement to CB20 scores.

10. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations: