*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    He was being sarcastic, had you even the slightest bit of maturity to check his guide to help fix your problem, you would have noticed

2. Hazed_N_Confused

Hazed_N_Confused Newbie

Reputations:
    No it is new actually. $950 off dell coupon plus additional $50 off using member pricing through my work. Upgraded to 1TB M.2 and 90w battery. Was thinkin of upgrading to 240hz but I'm fine with the 144hz honestly to save some money

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  3. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  4. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations:

5. Hazed_N_Confused

Hazed_N_Confused Newbie

Reputations:
    Slickdeals. Also the same coupon code was offered through Rakuten so I got the cash back as well. How is gaming on a 15.6" laptop? Is it that much worse than a 17"?

6. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah its always good to buy around a major holiday. That's how I got such a good deal on mine. Christmas sale + some cashback website + bought 2k$ of Dell gift cards for like 1840$ + Dell rewards. Used the leftover rewards + gift cards to buy a Xbox One S on Dell (got more Dell rewards + free controller). Sold the Xbox. Nearly paid half price for my Alienware meanwhile lots of people say they are expensive lol

7. fermeskop

fermeskop Notebook Guru

Reputations:

8. Hazed_N_Confused

Hazed_N_Confused Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I've heard it's very close because they lower the Max-Q's clock speeds. Still, I got a good deal on a brand new M15 that will outperform the 1660ti for about the same price other's have paid for the 1660ti or 2060. I also had some upgrades that normally would put the M15 2070 Max-Q closer to $2K.

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has Throttlestop stopped working for anyone else after a recent W10 update? Complains about some DLL. Adding a windows defender exception on the TS folder doesn't help.
    Edit: resolved itself after reboot.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Less then a year in (a few months ago) my m15 R1 developed an issue whereby it would start running the fans at 100% while automatically starting ePSA diagnostics at boot/wakeup from hibernation, and then reporting a fan failure. Shutting down the laptop and starting again resolves the issue. Dell support suggested things like uninstalling Support Assist, which made no difference. In the end they suggested I reinstall Windows lol, but refused to send me a replacement fan and also disabled harware scan and the ability to submit support tickets from Support Assist, so now if the system develops another issue it will go undetected and unreported. Pretty poor show.
    Edit: just noticed that there is a new BIOS with a fix for my issue:

- Fixed the issue where the system incorrectly reports a fan error during the Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment (ePSA) after the system is rebooted.
    Will give it a go.

Now the laptop developed a faint but annoying hissing/buzzing sound when charging.

Anyone else experienced similar issues?

Overall, coupled with the fact that my laptop arrived with a DOA GPU, it seems safe to say that quality took a hit in this model compared to my old AW15 R2 which is still going strong.

Papusan likes this.