*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine came with the 240W version, I think that because of the OLED screen

System0 likes this.
  2. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Answering to myself FYI.

After ordering and receiving the one I linked, I found that even if it is detected as a 240W at the BIOS, it seems that the internal chip is not compatible enough and the CPU will get throttled to 800Mhz under the BD PROCHOT condition. I can use Throttlestop to disable it but booting is extremely slow at 800Mhz. So I returned it and tried craigslist. I found a pair of used AC adaptors that I could test before buying. They were as new and original Dell parts (or at least I didn't get any throttling), and at $30 each, I think it was a good deal. So my advice, don't trust any seller, check yourself if you can. Also, probably it will be easier to get cheap authentic adapters in the used market.

c69k likes this.
  3. System0

System0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just an update on my previous posts.

I had problems getting the heatsink off my Alienware M15, however the iFixit Manta driver kit did the job. Once I got the heatsink off, repasting the CPU and GPU was an easy task.

It managed to improve my 3D Mark and PC Marks by a few hundred, but the biggest improvement is noise. It runs a lot cooler than before and the fans are not kicking in as early as they used to.

Would highly recommend others do it too as it's a cheap upgrade and will help you get more from your laptop :)

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  4. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    So the speakers on my M15 have stopped working. It seems to be a driver issue related to the Realtek Audio Drivers. I remove the drivers and restart my laptop and audio works fine as long as my laptop is not connected to the Internet but as soon I connect to the internet Windows automatically reinstalls the drivers and the audio stops working again. Anyone know of a solution? I've disabled automatic driver updates too but it still somehow keeps updating the drivers and breaking my audio

5. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you tried using the drivers from the Dell page when you put in your Laptop tag and it brings up the drivers for your specific model? If that doesn't work, you can use something like DDU to disable automatic driver updates. Still seems like a annoying workaround instead of a fix

redmop likes this.
  6. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Is 1.4.1 supposed to be the best BIOS for the m15? I just got mine in October and I doubt its on the latest BIOS but I also doubt its on the 'best' since I think many people recommend a old 1.4.1

7. toskie

toskie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys I am planning to upgrade my RAM to 32GB anything i should look out for and do you have any recommended brands/models.. Thanks

8. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    I believe these are highly recommended due to HyperX being a amazing brand and it having very good timings (better than most, if not all? sodimm available right now) with the max speed this CPU supports.
    https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/impact-ddr4?Speed=2666MHz&Module Capacity=8GB&Kit=Kit of 2

2666Mhz is recommended. It has slower timings than 2400Mhz but it performs better

c69k likes this.
  9. toskie

toskie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    To anyone that cares, I updated to the latest 2.3.0 and it works way better than the 2.0.X version it was on. Never tried 1.4.1, but I am satisfied with how much more quiet/silent it is during light use.