*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. smugpanda

smugpanda Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Most would argue 1080P is the sweet spot because the interpolation of pixels is very straightforward, but you are welcome to experiment. I have done a bit in the ONE game using the resolution scaling modifier. I’ve found that 1.2X of 1080P doesn’t really bring that much to the table. However 1.7 and higher of 4K looks immensely sharper, especially distant vistas. The 2060 however is a solid 1080P card in laptops - 2070 MQ definitely a better card if you want to crank up to 2K or higher rez. So if you go with 4K and don’t want to deal with 1080P and want to get closer to 4K and sharper, make sure you get the 2070.

I installed a 1TB SSD it in the R1 last night, loaded up some more games across the range, so I’ll be experimenting more now with what looks “best” in terms of using a 4K OLED to play games. Not all games are as expensive titles in terms of GPU power like AC:Odyssey, so they may be able to hit closer to 4K, but I realize this 2060 just won’t stretch that far.

System0 likes this.
  2. System0

System0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah the 2060 is a great card. I was considering the Zenbook Duo Pro and that has one (But the keyboard position put me off).

The one I've ordered actually has the 2080 Max Q (should have mentioned this previously), so I might be able to play a few games natively at 4K with the laptop display. I don't have the oled screen. Think it's IPS. Not sure I'll reach 60FPS though.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

3. smugpanda

Reputations:
    Well, I stand corrected - I tested about a half dozen games after adding in the 1440P rez into the Intel Command Center.

I would say it provides a noticeable sharpness increase across most titles, although a few did not really benefit.

These are purely by memory FPS estimates

• Witcher 3@1440P is averaging very close to 50-60FPS and is massively nicer looking at 1440P over 1080P - i tweaked a few graphical settings but left hairworks on at med. No way I can play this at 1080P anymore, distant foliage takes on a much better look at 1440P
    • AC:Odyssey looks much nicer at 1440P as well, although without backing down from my "custom Ultra" settings it looked to average low 50s - may be worth backing a whole image quality tier back a notch to get this sharper look. 1080P still looks great
    • Far Cry 5 - hard to tell between 1440P and 1080P in limited testing - although I am able to play at Ultra 1440P and average mostly ~60FPS - if I back down to high, it's north of 70FPS (again, limited testing)
    • The Division 2 - this game is not worth bumping up to 1440P - 1080P Ultra on the 2060 is averaging 65 FPS - I notice on the 2070MQ it was 81 FPS at the same settings - this game really benefits from a higher tier RTX card
    • Destiny 2 - This game is definitely more pleasing at 1440P, although not a game-changer. BUT, this game easily runs north of 60FPS with the Performance profile in QUIET mode, so this is quite the amazing game to play since it's well optimized and not CPU intensive.
    • Outer Worlds - didn't seem worth it to bump up to 1440 due to the overall aesthetic, but need more testing. Can run ~60FPS on highest setting @1440P, at least in the limited area I looked
    Also - I'm incredibly pleased with CPU and GPU performance with optimized ThrottleStop profiles set up. That little elevation of the back edge combined with the 170mV undervolt (and I guess my repaste) has changed the game. I'm maintaining a locked 4Ghz clock rate for multiple hours of intensive game testing without any dips that I could see (other than going into and out of games). Thermals run 85-low 90s, but this is because I probably should have used a more constant fan, as opposed to balanced which can lead to more fluctuations. But this is damn impressive for something this thin.

So for anyone interested, I'm not really observing that lower than native gaming on this 4K OLED really suffers, other than the obvious lack of high framerate gaming, which I know is key if you playing online MP centric titles and need the competitive edge. No doubt, if you into that, probably avoid OLED at all costs. Or, as I have, just buy an AGA and external monitor for high-refresh gaming, and then enjoy the OLED on the go. What a time to be a PC gamer.

System0, etern4l and CptXabaras like this.
  4. System0

Reputations:
    That's fantastic. I'm sure driving games will look great at the higher resolution too (as long as frame rates aren't too low).

Impressive that a 2060 can handle 1440p so well.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FWIW 1440p is buttery smooth on the 2070mq.4k works well in most titles on max settings too.

6. System0

Reputations:
    That's great to bear. Looking forward to seeing how the 2080 Max Q handles 4K.

etern4l likes this.
  7. smugpanda

Reputations:
    I wish I paid the extra to get the 2070 in the R1! I did see considerable benefit at >1080P when testing between the R1 (2060) and R2 (2070) I have in hand right now. But as I posted earlier, the throttling, even with undervolt and raised back-end, on the R2 was really impacting frame rates in longer game sessions, with frequent dips in the 3.1Ghz range. I was not maintaining the same 4 GHz clock as the R1. SO thus the machine with better CPU thermals wins the day.

System0 likes this.
  8. System0

Reputations:
    The limitation of 16GB stopped me from getting the R2.

Don't fret too much about not buying the 2070. You could put the money you saved towards something else later.

My R1 will arrive tomorrow. I'm going to do an unboxing on my YouTube channel. Might do it live, but won't do any mods live.

I'll do a repaste etc later and it's already got 32GB of RAM. I'm going to change the SSD but that's not really exciting to show. I will open up the back though.

Looking forward to seeing the 4K display.

etern4l likes this.
  9. System0

Reputations:
    The laptop arrived a few hours ago.

Going to do a live unboxing at https://www.youtube.com/c/KevinMuldoon/live in about 40 minutes to show what it's like. Will open it up and look at the internals, but I'm not going to be changing the SSD or memory live. I'll just have a look at what it's like inside :)

I'm looking to pick up a 2TB NVME SSD in the Black Friday sales for the main OS. Might do a repaste next week too if the thermals aren't great. :)

win32asmguy and etern4l like this.
  10. System0

Reputations:
    Many thanks to those that dropped by for the unboxing. Special shoutout to Shadowfox who gave me a lot of great advice about upgrades and opening the back cover up.

I'll be sure to do another few videos showing the upgrades I do etc.

ShadowFox's recommendation was to drop down to 1.4.1 for the bios. It looks like mine is on 2.2.1 at the moment (before checking for any recent updates).

Is there a change log that shows all the updates? Is it universally accepted that 1.4.1 is the best version?

IMG_20191120_173048.jpg

I went in and disabled express charge too so my battery doesn't burn out.

IMG_20191120_173108.jpg

I had a quick look on Amazon UK there and saw the MQFORU Intel Dual Band Wireless AX200NGW. It's currently selling for £25.99.

Have you all upgraded from the Dell Wireless 1820 Card? Looking at threads on Notebook Review, and listening to Shadowfox's advice, it seems like the best option.

61cyP+lbv-L._SL1001_.jpg

I'm looking out for some new SSDs for the laptop too.

It would be useful to utilise the 2.5" drive slot for storing files and games etc. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have the Sata connector cable or the caddy. From what I've seen online, Dell are rarely helpful with this (though I emailed them anyways).

The part number for the HDD caddy and cable and screws is 68WXJ.

I've not been able to find it online. Anyone did this upgrade?

Last upgrade I'll do is the repaste, but I will get everthing else sorted first.

Thanks again to all the advice during the stream :)