*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question, so the m15 r1 has a connector for the 2.5" drive bay which isn't in use if you have the 90whr battery. My question is wouldn't it theoretically possible to hook up a daughter board with a custom built case and attach more RGB/tobbi eyetracking/etc to this laptop? I know it sounds like a dumb idea but it is a connection that provides some power and IO to the main board

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2. illuMinniti

illuMinniti Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used this guide here - http://triplescomputers.com/blog/un...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/ - 4 days ago and it worked perfectly. I forget if I updated my BIOS before or after this but I think I updated my laptop BIOS after I set the boot to ACHI tbh. I hope that it doesn't have a 1TB limit, that would be so dumb. Makes me wonder how it would react if it was partitioned into two 1TB partitions on the SSD. How can a NVME port support 2280 and 3600MBps speeds but be limited to just 1TB, is that possible, hardware-wise?

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  3. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    So I did a clean GPU driver install, did a full system scan with Avira and scanned with Malwarebytes, but I just experienced this again. it doesn't seem to be affecting performance in any way, but it does look visually annoying. I am just going to disable animations, at this point I see no negative performance impact nor do I feel like its possible my system is compromised since Windows defender, Avira and Malwarebytes all found nothing and I haven't been on questionable websites or downloads.

Edit: didn't mean to double post, sorry.

4. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm currently using my m15 with a monitor and to get output directly from RTX gpu i had to connect monitor to mini display port by (minidp to dp cable) no adapters needed. As i also have dell TB16 dock connected to the laptop i tried to get monitor output from the dock but only intel gpu outputs there and all features of my monitor like G-Sync are disabled if i connect monitor to the dock station. In workstation laptops like precision series you have an option in bios to disable intel gpu and after it done you will have output from your mxm card to all the ports like Thunderbolt DP HDMI etc. But i haven't seen such option in m15 bios.

5. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Would also like to mention, most of the time when adapters don't work, it is either human error (someone needing HDMI to displayport adapter and they bought a Displayport to HDMI, and while the adapter fit, it will not work) or quality control. I am not sure if the same applies to displayport, but this should work perfectly - https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...rt+female&qid=1571498339&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Cablematters is a good brand and I usually go with cables with good warranties, but it doesn't list the warranty on amazon or their website that I could see.

6. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    etern4l, CptXabaras and illuMinniti like this.
  7. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    That is some extremely good info and guides with it, thanks for posting it. I am sure others will appreciate it for sure. It is a very small laptop too maybe they will stick with this style until around r4 or r5 too like with previous models. My NVME get extremely hot, I think I should consider making a heatsink for it even though SSD is getting pretty cheap nowadays

Sk0b0ld did you play with the iGPU unslice or Intel GPU voltages at all? Just curious cuz in most guides its pretty vague on whether its useful or not worth messing with it. -165 is a very good undervolt, I had mine sitting at -125 but I'm bumping it up to -150 and gonna try further, most guides were saying -125 is about the max, I shouldn't have listened haha.

Also, does the NVME heatsink cause the SSD to take a while to cool down at all? Or is it beneficial in every way? I've read that SSD storage actually works better when hotter, but in these laptops its definitely TOO hot, my 970 Evo reaches high 80s on the controller and high 70s-low 80s on the storage. I am thinking of just taking off the sticker and buying a heatsink, but only using it for the controller, using the excess thermal pad to prop up the heatsink so it doesn't cool the storage. You may want to consider changing your NVME SSD temps because, from what I've read, they are at damaging low numbers. Like they should be above 45C or else it cuts the lifespan in half and its important for the storage to idle above 45C, because not only does the storage perform better with higher temps but it was created to withstand and have more longevity that way. The SSD controllers however, they should be cooled to prevent throttling for sure.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nope never.

Hmm ok. I tested my 8750H down to -190mV but to be honest it's not always stable under load.

185 - 190.jpg

-165mV or -170mV works fine. I did all my tests with -165mV. More than -160mV makes not necessarily sense, because under -160mV you don't reach the powerlimit.Testet with cinebench R15 & R20.
    Gaming with FC 5 and -165mV UV over 30 minutes (without GPU UV) is absolutely stable (on my chip).

FC5 LM1 30min.jpg

It has several advantages. When I got the notebook, I downloaded first FC5 (50-60 GB) on my SSD. My drive-temperture goes up to 91°C. PCH and the second SSD looks not much better and this was only in idle, just downloading the game.

Download FC.jpg

I always build a heatsink on my SSDs and PCH. Simply to eliminate some heat in the system and improve temps (and in the end performance) of the parts and passive cooling. You've the space, the heatsink costs less than $1, so why not.

illuMinniti likes this.
  9. illuMinniti

Reputations:
    Funnily I tried -165 for a while and it did well. I tried -175 and my laptop froze and then I kept getting system reboots despite never setting Throttlestop to auto load ever. Unplugged my external HDD's, quickly loaded throttlestop and switched to battery setting, then ran sfc /scannow. Idk much about the windows logs but it seemed like OneDrive somehow got corrupted and some other duplicate entry was found and fixed. Even though I have OneDrive uninstalled for days, its weird to see that in Windows logs. But yeah I won't be trying over -165 again.

Yeah I saw on Amazon they have a bunch of NVME heatsinks that are pretty cheap, I def want to try it for the PCH and NVME drives. But I have a lot of warranty left for my Alienware so I would have to think of some way to keep the heatsink on the PCH from moving. I could try to make a little barrier of tape for the bottom laptop housing, worst case scenario I can use anything on that to remove the tape for warranty.

What is the height of the PCH heatsink you used if you don't mind me asking, I would rather not take mine all apart just to put it back together and wait for delivery. I see a bunch of 3mm heatsinks but the one 2mm NVME heatsink I see is double the price

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  10. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

How much temperature dropped after you replaced the heatsink?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019