*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    After seeing Blade 15 advanced vapor chamber and base Blade 15 pipe heatsink (from notebookcheck review on both 2018 models and real users in several Razer forums), I don’t see Advanced model being any better thermally. Vapor chamber is used to spread the heat exchange across large surface area, but in laptop you're limited by tiny heatsinks, so the main engine of heat exchange - the phase change, still occurs in the small area above the heatsink, the size of a heat pipe, and the whole giant vapor chamber area is wasted. And the cooling system in the Base, consisting of just couple of heatpipes, is just amazingly efficient.

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    A Vapor Chamber ain't worth so much if the rest of the cooling as Grills and Fans can't throw out the heat from the chassis.

Pipes have never been used to cool down hardware in any laptops...
    Heat pipe - Wikipedia

Ashtrix, Joikansai and etern4l like this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes Blade use also the cassis and users hand to transfer heat:D

pulver22 likes this.
  4. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone please share the dumped by gpu-z vbios of RTX 2080 max-q from m15? Thank You!

5. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Herewith attached.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do with it?

Attached Files:

code9523 likes this.
  6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Toshiba Laptop C55-a is one of the laptops that uses a heatpipe (without coldplate) to cool i.c.m. with the fan: https://linustechtips.com/main/uplo...ides.PNG.b69c841835610299b1a9f7405a114ec4.PNG

and there's more of these fails. Just 1 pipe and that's it. That is true, that's why I used clevo 's example with sli enabled. Those do not even use pipes but the chamber is the heatsink itself.

Pipes are as good as your fans can cool down the radiator, look at this picture: 20160910_223905_zpsitmw1tuj.jpg

There are only two pipes and those are for an external radiator but this heatsink cools better than a coldplate/heatpipe/radiator unit where as this is just the vapor chamber body directly connected to where the fans blow air to create the phase change. Because it's more of a unit instead of 3 sandwiched parts the cooling with a VC in small chassis will be alot better.

That's also demonstrated by the razor blade pro with 2080 max-q which performs almost 15% better than the m17 also with max-q but without a vapor chamber. Although the m17 can outperform the razor blade, it does not.

While I do agree with @Joikansai that it's efficient, it's not so compared to a good executed vapor chamber/fan design (without radiator) because the vapor chamber has more surface area than the normal coldplate, it could be used better for cooling different parts not just the CPU and CPU. Look at the picture of the Clevo heatsink design. There is no radiator present only two fans which do the phase change at the back of the VC.

If the whole PCH, RAM, SSD can be covered by the VC you could create desktop like cooling for your VRM's etc. In desktops you COULD use air but in laptops there is something needed that extracts the heat from the components due to hot air that bleeds through the chassis. With a vapor chamber that air will have less if a chance because the VC cools a large area if the mobo itself (if done correctly).

Joikansai likes this.
  7. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank You for the dump!

I just wanted to compare my vbios with someone else. I repasted it with LM conductonaut i done undervolt for -150mv the systems scores 18+k in firestrike but temps are still pretty high. The CPU reached for 85c and GPU was bouncing in arround 83-85C in firestrike. Ambient temp is 22c. And laptops idles around 55-60c on cpu and 50-55c gpu (google chrome). I'm thinking may be i have a defective heatsink as contact between the copper and die is superb i checked it couple times and laptop still cant output all the heat. In PUBG it goes to 90C on CPU and 85C on gpu and starts dropping frames down. I can only play if i will turn on cool profile in awcc but it will decrease performance of laptop.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anybody know the part number for the GPU fan? While cleaning with compressed air after some tweaking I failed to secure the fan and it seems that I've unbalanced it, and now it makes a very quiet rattling noise when turning at very slow speed. It is only perceptible at night and with complete silence, but my OCD is getting me crazy :)

10. Not RealName

Not RealName Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I updated the overclock controls in the AWCC this morning, should have known better.

Windows defender went nuts and indicated a Trojan:Win32/Fuery.B!cl
    amsi: C:\Program Files\Alienware\Alienware Command Center\OCControlService\OCControl.Service.exe

I uninstalled the latest, re-installed the previous and all seems well now, but seriously, this awcc stuff just screams amateur.

quarky42 and c69k like this.