*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up, i'll guinea pig it

Edit: done, laptop did not explode or else, everything looks normal, this evening i'll check out if there is any difference with fans profile while gaming.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    etern4l and Ultra Male like this.
  2. austinpike

austinpike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I updated from 2.1.1. AWCC still does not seem to respond to any fan profile settings. The fans might be quieter at idle (they rarely dropped below 50% on 2.1.1) but I need to spend more time with it. Not any worse at least.

etern4l likes this.
  3. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I get same temps and results in benchmarks. Try to run aida64 stability test with only stress fpu checked for at least 20 minutes and furmark on full screen FHD for same 20 minutes.(without any undervolting etc just let it run stock!) And you can see funny things. By the way yours cpu minimal temps are really low what is your ambient temp?

CptXabaras likes this.
  4. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Ambient temp somewhere around 22 & 24 °C. I can try Aida64, but i honestly don't like to run furmark at all on any laptop, it just put unnecessary strain on the GPU in my opinion.

Edit: regarding the funny things you are refering to, i'm totally aware, the m15 without undervolt give so much voltage to the CPU that, with those same settings, i could run my watercooled 8700k at home at 5.2Ghz on all cores! :D. this laptop needs both a good repaste and a nice undervolt to work as it should be.

Well i tested yesterday with this new bios, almost 3 hours of Divinity original sin 2 enhanced edition, on my usual balanced profile from AWCC. What i notice, and didn't like, is that indeed the fans take way longer to ramp up on balanced profile and they did not go full speed to catch up with the temperatures, giving me higher max and average temperatures than the previous bios version. Mind you, i didn't try anything else other than that, and it could have been a glitch or something. Will do some more testing if and when i'll have more time, but from the look of it, i think i'll revert back to previous bios version. Looks like the so called "fan profile enhancement" has been only to make them less noisy, not to improve the cooling performance of the machine. Nicely done Dell, another fail.

On a side note.... how do i roll back to previous 2.1.1 bios? i've tried with the ctrl + esc method (power cord disconnected) then connecting the power cord still keeping the above key pressed and release them once the machine powered up. Got into the option for the rollback. The machine did the procedure but i'm still on 2.2.1.
    Am i missing something?

Edit: never mind, as simple as it could get, just run the 2.1.1 installer, and it will flash back the previous bios version. All is good and back as it was before 2.2.1.

So, 2.2.1 does indeed put the fans completely at idle and let them ramp up way less aggressively that it was on 2.1.1 making the machine more silent, but i prefere the previous version over the new one.

Edit 2:

with 2.2.1, CB20 run, balanced fan profile, no optimization for the run (software running in back ground, hwinfo64 running, no priority changed for CB20 etc...), my fixed voltage profile in TS: score 2777.

with 2.1.1, CB20 run, balanced fan profile, all condition as above: score 3021.

gonna stick with 2.1.1

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2019
    Papusan, Ultra Male and etern4l like this.
  5. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I see this too. Too much voltage on cpu. I'm now looking what to do with all this voltage...

CptXabaras likes this.
  6. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Get rid of it, as much as you can, also try to get a profile with static voltage, it works really well for under load conditions and allow you to go down further than with adapatative and off-set voltage

check out @kahuna0k post on this thread for refrence, kudos to him

And here some testing i've done after Kahuna0k findings, plus some TS settings that might be able to help you out

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    nVIDIA GeForce RTX 1660Ti/2060/2070/2080 Driver v26.21.14.3169 ,A03

Finally!! Dell gives us an updated nVIDIA Driver for the Alienware Area-51m, from the description, it seems like many other GPUs are also supported for Dell/Alienware Laptops in this release:

Download

CptXabaras likes this.
  8. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Upon which Nvidia driver version is based this release?

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:

CptXabaras likes this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Excuse me..... using a vapor chamber is far from a gimmick and can be superior compared to heatpipes filled with flux relying on a phase change. Not to mention, Clevo could only sell the p870TM1-G for examaple because of the vapor chamber they use. Else they wouldn't be able to cool two 1080's running @150 watt, let alone sell the laptop. that's is the reason why the 51m struggles @1080p, they used only pipes.

That results in the heat bleading the system faster than the pipes can suck up the heat. Vapor chambers are better cause the whole chamber is situated above the DIE where the temperature hotspot usually is. Now that the Die's are getting smaller, the HS should spread the heat better else it will create new problems. A vapor chamber is superior to pipes. Pipes should only be used to transport the heat, not cool the damn thing.