*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Disconnecting the buffer battery (coin like) should reset the CMOS. (after disconnecting wait few minutes, power button pressed without power cord connected of course, to discharge eventual condenser etc...)
    If it works, download the latest bios directly from dell site and install it yourself (be careful, if your battery is indeed dead, take care to your power supply connection!! you won't have the battery backing you up in case you loose power)
    A piece of advice. Get rid of all the dell junk that try to install update in your stead on your machine.

etern4l likes this.
  2. code9523

code9523 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Who has a problem with overheating of alienware m15 rtx 2080 max-q I have a solution for you!

Just a bit of story here my m15 was overheating even after repasting! I repasted it with IC diamond temps got better but not good enough!
    So i found that m15 rtx 2080 is 90 watt max-q version and there are some laptops that are 80 watt version's...
    As the RTX supports cross flashing vbios i flashed the Razer's 80 watt vbios version https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212116/212116
    and temps dropped just as i wanted now GPU is running around stable 70-75C in furmark under long run with my ambient temp of 23-25C.
    This is madness that I have to flash and repaste a 3.5K$ laptop with lower clocked vbios and aftermarket thermal compound but this is a solution.

Or may be we should wait winter to use it outdoor in snow?)))

3. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    ..that's far away from the solution, and m15 is not suffering from GPU overheating but from CPU thermal throttling. Basically you gimped your GPU for nothing. I wouldn't recommend that solution to anyone reading this forum.

edit: because i had a bad day

Beside what you have done to your GPU, what about your CPU temperatures?

Also, what about gaming? what are the combined temperatures when both your GPU & CPU are loaded? i guess you did not purchase a 3.5k$ laptop to run furmark, right?

etern4l likes this.
  4. code9523

Reputations:
    I don't care is m15 suffering from gpu overheating but i'm suffering from it's heat output!
    In my case gpu was running 85C if someone likes this temps it may be fine... But palmrest and keyboard and bottom panel got too hot to touch! For me it's not good i don't like such temps i don't think that laptop will last long on such temps. I still have almost same level of performance but running 75C on cpu and above 70C on gpu while gaming. No cpu undervolting done! The gpu outputs less heat so the heatsink can handle it and cpu is runnig fine.

Here everyone is discussing the cpu undervolting but no one tried to underclock gpu 2080 gives enough performance but when it's not reaching powerlimits lol))! And on stock vbios i got a gpu powerlimits reaching in stress tests. The heatsink in this laptop cant handle 2080 90 watt heat output so underclocking is a solution which works just fine. Also flashing vbios is not painful and you always can simply roll back if you don't like something.

As i see this is first alienware laptop where same heatsink is for all cards and cpu's(2060 / 2070 / 2080 / i7 / i9)... Previous generations had different heatsinks designed for each gpu to handle heat output but this days are gone.

5. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Power limiting your GPU is not really the best solution, because CPU is always limiting factor in laptops. Clearly your mounting pressure or thermal past apply was not good enough. I get 73C with my RTX 2060 at 90W (with stock paste).

CptXabaras and redmop like this.
  6. code9523

Reputations:
    If you look at the two motherboards you can clearly see that m15 with 2060 is not 90W as it has less power rails to the gpu also missing couple memory chips so it will produce less heat as it uses less power and has less chips to output heat. And i talked about RTX 2080 max-q version of this laptop with i7 8750. Also I found a review of m15 with 2060 and it shows gpu temp around 85C and cpu around 100C with throttling under load. And your saying 73C on stock paste under load which sounds funny. Any way it's good result if your laptop can handle that heat!

Attached Files:

7. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yet the m15 rtx 2060 clearly is a 90W version. Also it should not matter if you have 2060 or 2080. 90W is 90W. It should generate the same amount of heat so something is wrong with your laptop.

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bizarre. This is the first report of a GPU in the m15 R1 overheating. Try repasting. My 2070 runs at 65C max under full load (Kryonaut), @CptXabaras 's 2080 was even cooler after IC Diamond repaste. There are several 2060 variant owners here and nobody had complained about GPU temps before. In my case the improvement from repaste was about 10C so clearly Dell toothpaste needs to be replaced at the earliest opportunity.

Loading a gimped 80W Razer BIOS is the last thing I'd want to do, if anything, it would be good to get hold of a 100 or 110W BIOS.

CptXabaras likes this.
  9. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    I totally second this and that would be really, really lovely! given the temperatures at 90W, it should totally be able to handle the extra wattage

etern4l likes this.
  10. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a 9750 + 2060 and of course the GPU is sitting around 65 under maximum load. When I stress the CPU too the GPU will get hotter but just because of the shared heatpipes transferring heat from the CPU to the GPU.

I got the 2060 because I usually game using the AGA with a 1080 Ti and Dell pretended to charge me $400 to go from the 2060 to the 2070 maxQ, and didn't even offered the 2080 maxQ with the 9750, but I'm pretty sure that even the 2080 should not be the blocker in this laptop.

@code9523 Check your pads and make sure that your heatsink is making good contact with the the GPU. Check how much paste is on it after removing the heatsink. There should be almost no paste. I would return my laptop if I have to flash a BIOS from a Razer into my Alienware ... really, that's heresy! :D

CptXabaras and etern4l like this.