*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Skolar

Skolar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I might be using too much paste. Not sure how much I should use. But I feel like all the repasting and changing thermal pads didn't really have any effect vs stock.

Max GPU temp went to 87 during heaven benchmark. Not sure if that is good or not.
    Ambiant temp is 24.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What if you continue with Adaptive volt for Cashe and instead increase negative offset voltage.

From post above...
    upload_2019-8-24_3-10-33.png

I expect if you use most part dGPU, so there is little to be gained by adjusting the iGPU.

See also http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-1004#post-10894096

Vasudev, etern4l and CptXabaras like this.
  3. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I just got one with the i9-9900. When I looked in the bios at first boot up it said it was @ 3.10 GHz. Isn’t it supposed to say 3.60 GHz??

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You don’t have the unlocked K version. 3.1GHz is correct.

jc_denton, etern4l and CptXabaras like this.
  5. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Hi Skolar,

Your temps are way too high both on GPU and CPU. Never saw my GPU going over 71 °C (spike) and this is only because of the stupid shared heat pipes design of nowaday laptops, during gaming session both CPU & GPU works and heat up, adding to each other heat that won't be there if they were on dedicated heatpipes cooling systems (Dell has to think that they feel alone, so they heat up each other to feel cozy :D) . Typical temperature for my GPU for example is 55 - 65 °C under load. CPU seldom goes up to 80 °C during gaming sessions (hottest core), but those are just spikes. During stress test that uses only the CPU, the temps are as per my previous post)

Looking at your CPU temps it might really well be too much TIM used. Also, next time you repaste, try put your heatsink upside down (heat pipes down) on a flat surface (a glass surface is my favorite) and see if it sits completely flush over the surface. It is not uncommon to have warped heatsinks, and this can be fixed by slowly and carefully bend it so that it will be perfectly flush. Take care to the VRM area (above CPU & GPU). I've used K5 Pro with pretty good result on those areas (where the incredibly stupid sticky yellow pads dell put on those machines are, and yes, they are a pita to remove, isopropil alchool will help you big time removing the sticky stuff that will remain attached on the heatsink. Alternative? Zippo lighter white gasoline. Does wonders on leftover stikers glue)

How much undervolt have you applied on the CPU?

Skolar and etern4l like this.
  6. Skolar

Skolar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is with a -150 or -155 undervolt. I have replaced all yellow thermal pads with Gelid gp-extreme. Paste is phobya nanogrease extreme. Had about the same results with the spread method and X method for the paste. Frankly at that point I'm not sure I can do anything about the temps. :(

7. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Try to reapply the TIM.
    Keep in mind that:
    the amount of TIM between the heatsink and your components (CPU / GPU) must fill a really, but really thin gap. Actually is just to assure proper thermal transfer (heat exchange) of heat from the chips and the copper surface of the heatsink and for micro imperfection on the surfaces.
    With thick thermal greases (IC Diamond 24, i'm looking at you :D) you want to heat them up before application (put the siringe on a ziplock, boil some water, put it in an let it warm up while having your heatsink ready to be reinstalled right away, you want to put that TIM as warm as possible, it will help spreading it
    On CPU i suggest the thin (really thin) line application. On GPU either the X or the dot in the middle (i do prefer the dot in the middle)

Remember that you can apply the paste, screw down your heatsink. Unmount and see how it has spread over your components and then adjust quantities as needed. By any means, while repasting take your time to do it.

Oh! and Never Ever Give Up!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Skolar, redmop and etern4l like this.
  8. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'll also add that having too much thermal paste isn't really a problem, having too little paste or bare spots is a problem.

9. hodgeMN

hodgeMN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well with a re-paste, re-pad, undervolt and a little tweaking of the heatsink the m15 r1 is not a bad machine:

Attached Files:

CptXabaras and etern4l like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What heatsink tweaks have you had success with?