*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How the... I am getting without undervolt VID values of 1.42V! I must have lost the sillicon lottery. Because the CPU really wants that juice from the PSU. Is there any way to see the real VCore values?

Adding a static core voltage in Throttlestop does not seem to be doing anything for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  2. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the same issues, Throttlestop will set the voltage but I understand that the LLC is increasing the delivered voltage over the predefined value.

I don't look at the voltage itself, I look at the power dissipated by the CPU, that seems to be accurate in Throttlestop. The goal is to drive that below 60W while running something like Cinebench R20 or mprime (I was using custom with 192K size and in place FFT to avoid unrealistic loads). If you look at that you'll see that you have much more room setting the static voltage than with the adaptive voltage, as at least in my case, you can go down to -200mV or even -210mV but only during load, the machine will crash at that levels as soon as there is no load, that's why I think that the static voltage is better.

About setting the cache and the iGPU, I suppose that you could do the same, I didn't even try as I was able to go below 60W just touch the core voltage. Will try later today for science :)

CptXabaras and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry for the basic sanity check, but could this be due to a clash with other OC tools?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Could be the Cashe voltage settings who hamper the Cpu voltage from going lower.
    If you undervolt iGPU. You should undervolt iGPU Unslice as well. Normally won't offset voltage on only one of the iGPU domain have any effect.

5. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback Papusan, I'll do some more testing as soon as I'll have the time. For science, of course :)

etern4l likes this.
  6. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've tried to lower the Cache voltage using static and I've been unable to get even the same results. It didn't change the fact that the actual voltage is higher than what I set and, as others have noticed, this CPU is much less stable when you lower the cache voltage.

At 0.8750 both mprime was dissipating 70W while with my older settings it was at 60W, and when I tried below 0.8750 I got crashes. Leaving it as it was, as it works well for me.

The note about the iCPU unslice voltage, I made it equal to the Intel GPU following your recommendation, but didn't notice much change, I suppose that my iGPU is not doing much :)

CptXabaras and etern4l like this.
  7. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    After testing I confirm Kahuna0k results. I still suspect LLC being too aggressive. Shame we cannot adjust that as on desktop. Rised my static voltage to 0.850 (to give it a notch up from my previous stable tested 0.820. Max W under prime95 is around 52.5. also sync Unslice with iGPU as per Papusan advice. Gonna leave it like this for the moment being. I'm satisfied. Next step (not in an hurry to do that) will be trying to undervolt the Gpu using Afterburner voltage curve to see if I can make it boost higher. Just need to do my homework to fully understand how it works.

etern4l likes this.
  8. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Vapor chamber on a laptop is actually probably gimmick, from notebookcheck base Blade 2018 Review and some user posts Blade base actually runs a bit cooler than advanced with vapor chamber. However base Model came a lot later after advanced they probably doing a lot things improving heat sink pipe design from previous Blade 14 which was bad.

9. Skolar

Skolar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I repasted with the X method still with Phobya nanogrease extreme. I also replaced the 0.5 thermal pads for 1.0 ones because there were no dent in them.
    It feels a bit worse. Got 2808 with max temp at 97 83 100 89 99 89 for run 1 and 2914 with 98 83 100 89 97 88 for run 2.
    The third core was staying at 100 degrees the whole time.
    I also noticed that there was a small dent in the cpu.
    thumbnail_20190823_161920.jpg

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear, not clear where the dent could come from.

As for the temps, is it possible you are using too much paste? How thick is it? Did you heat it up before application? I think I will go through the exercise myself shortly so we can compare notes.