*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    To compensate for all the horrible throttling stories, my experience with the Alienware m15 r1 after a month.

Out of the box this laptop gets too hot, but this has been my experience with all my laptops since the Core2Duo. Then, adjusting voltage levels with rmclock was mandatory, so I was expecting to need Throttlestop to keep temps under control. Also, vendor thermal paste is usually terrible, something I don't understand as, compared with all the R&D, it should be pretty cheap to just use some quality one and train the people applying it. Anyway, repasting with Phobya Nanogrease and -150mV undervolt was more than enough to have a perfectly usable laptop.

But I wanted more. I opted for liquid metal and tried Conductonaut in the CPU (kept the Phobya in the GPU), the difference is impressive. Also, I did some more fine tuning with Throttlestop, and now I'm able to get 3194 in Cinebench R20 with temps just above 80C (ambient temp around 27C). The trick is to keep the pkg power under control (<60W). The 9750 seems to undervolt really well under load (not so well when idle), my current configuration is:

Profile 1 (default on AC)
    Speedshift: 64
    CPU Core: -158.2mV
    CPU Cache: -158.2mV
    Intel GPU: -0.0605mV
    iccMax: 65A

Profile 2 (performance)
    Speedshift: 0
    CPU Core: 0.8252V (static)
    iccMax: 140A

Profile 3: (battery)
    Speedshift: 192
    Disable Turbo: On
    iccMax: 40A

Profile 3: (low battery)
    Speedshift: 255
    Disable Turbo: On
    iccMax: 30A

The big change for me was Profile 2, setting the CPU Core to static voltage instead of adaptive enabled me go much lower and to run anything except maximum heat mprime under 60W with all cores at 4Ghz and 100% usage. Rendering with 3dsmax or vray, compiling, rendering with Cinema4D, even mprime non-cache-only loads, just keep all cores at 4Ghz, no throttling, and temps below 85C. Of course for normal loads and most of the games I've tried this thing stays below 70C with fans pretty quiet.

I think it will last until 144/240Hz 4K OLED are available. For my use case, this is the perfect laptop: 2 nvme + ssd gets me 8TB, 4K OLED, the Alienware Graphics Amplifier port that allows me to have an upgradable 1080 Ti + RTX 2060 both enabled at the same time (425 V-Ray GPU Score).

I've had many laptops, including Dell Latitude C800, Inspiron 8500, Precision M4300 and M4400. Lenovo Thinkpad X220 and W520, MacBook Pro Retina 2012, Alienware 13R3 and this m15r1. I still have most of them, and of all, this one and the W520 are my favorites, and the form factor of the m15 is just unbelievable.

It is just an awesome time to be alive.

c69k, DrewN, CptXabaras and 1 other person like this.
  2. faenil

faenil Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I unpacked the laptop. Let me know if you guys are interested in any particular test for m15 r1 8750h 2060 or some comparison vs Lenovo P1.

I will do some short power consumption tests using a wall power monitor

OOB, the Cpu Package reached 102deg while installing Windows/driver updates..

3. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very impressive temps! What are the temps when you are idling and when you are doing light work as only using Office (word etc)?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. KallDrexx

KallDrexx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm deciding on a new laptop primarily for coding on the couch and on the go without being tethered to a plug for a long period of time, and some light gaming. While the XPS 15 is really tempting I would like the rare opportunity to play games while travelling. The Alienware M15 on dell's site (not the "new" one) with a 90Wh battery seems like an interesting idea. It's more powerful and not too much thicker or heavier (based on raw numbers at least), and should last quite a while (my current laptop is 5+ years old). I can't quite get real numbers of non-gaming battery life with the 90Wh battery but I'm guessing at least 4 hours based on reviews of the 60Wh one.

How comfortable is it on your lap when not gaming? Is it loud even in non-gaming scenarios? Is there some disadvantage that I"m missing?

etern4l likes this.
  5. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    around 42C with 24C ambient temp.

Has Anybody been able to use HWINFO64 to control the fan? I have BIOS 2.1.1 and the profiles seem to be unable to fully stop the fans.I don't want to go to 1.4.1 as it seems that 2.0.1 added support for the 9750 (my CPU). The laptop is pretty quiet, but when there is no other noise, I want to actually stop the fans, even if the temp rises a bit.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Battery capacity is likely to be less than 90W on arrival. Nevertheless, you are looking at 6-7h battery life during light browsing after tweaking. The form factor is great for lap use coming from other Alienware laptops. The machine is cool when not gaming, and it won't get hot when gaming on battery either.

7. faenil

faenil Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Technical support explicitly told me that the fan control is not fully enabled on laptop.
    They want to ensure the laptop does not overheat so they crippled the custom fan profile to ensure the fans keep scaling up as temperature increases.
    According to technical team, the custom profile on the m15 only allows you to tweak the 'relative offset' to the fan speed the system decides, so it is quite useless.

According to my testing, the fan speed is not affected by the 'fixed' fan speed you set *at all*

That said, if you use the Quiet profile I think the fans do stop when on idle, or at least they are very quiet.

8. KallDrexx

KallDrexx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What do you mean "less than 90W on arrival"? I'm assuming by tweaking you mean undervolting?

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most people report a few % battery drain on arrival which Dell claims is "normal".

UV, Speedshift, max power saving settings.

10. elgreco14

elgreco14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm ok, I'm getting around 39-40 with stock paste and just 150mv undervolt. The fans on battery will stop when your hovering <40C with bios 2.1.1, but on power outlet it acts very different. It can stop <40C but it takes alot longer somehow.