*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I don't know if they have, but I have learned from their mistakes. Lesson learned: Don't buy Dellienware turdbooks. Class dismissed. :vbbiggrin:

Terreos, Rei Fukai, c69k and 2 others like this.
  2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is the zephyrus s with 240 hz display + gsync any better? Or the Lenovo Y740? I feel like m15 is still better than those (R1 of course)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

etern4l likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Hi bro. I am not sure which of those are better products. I haven't followed any of these newer thin and light BGA models, so my advice would not be anything more than assumption or speculation on my part. As far as the screen goes, I think choosing 240MHz trumps G-Sync at any lower refresh rate. Higher refresh rate is always better than G-Sync with a lower refresh rate.

c69k and Papusan like this.
  4. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    The zephryus s has 240hz AND gsync with option to turn on Optimus in bios (but no thunderbolt 3 and most ports including power is on left side and battery life is subpar around 3-4 hours WITH Optimus)
    Lenovo Y740 has Gsync 144hz with Optimus mux switch and about same battery life as zephryus s AND has most of the ports on the back with thunderbolt 3 but Max GPU is 2070 Max q while zephyrus s gets full 2070.

etern4l and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I guess it all boils down to what you need and want. Based solely upon what you posted, if I were making a choice based on that information the Zephryus would win hands down with the 240Hz, the ability to manually disable the Intel Graphics in the BIOS (or turn it back on again), and the full 2070. Those features trump anything the Lenovo has to offer among those two product. This is also on the assumption the 240Hz panel is a really good one, and not a crummy one with a high refresh rate. I don't really care for G-Sync and it's not much value (largely a gimmick) on a panel with such a high refresh rate. G-Sync is better suited for powerful machines that run games at ~100 FPS while connected to low refresh rate G-Sync displays. I have it on my 165Hz desktop monitor and I cannot see any difference with it enabled or disabled, other than benchmark scores are lower with G-Sync enabled.

Unless you have a specific need that requires TB3, I certainly would not choose the Lenovo on the basis that it does. Unless you have a specific need for it, there is no point in having it when other specs might be more important. If nothing else, decide based on how it looks if the specs are not as important. The ability to disable Optimus in the BIOS rather than using a mux switch would be valuable to me. I like being able to manually choose Intel Graphics or discrete GPU without Optimus rather than having a hybrid setup.

Having most of the ports in back is probably the only truly compelling feature to the Lenovo based on what you posted, but that's just my opinion. If I truly needed TB3, that might be important as well, but I don't need it. I am not a fan of Lenovo notebooks. I have had several for work and I'd be hesitant to spend my own money on one. (Again, just my opinion.)

Maybe check the Owner's Lounge for each of those models and look at thermal management and benchmark scores would help you decide.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Zephyrus G looks kind of compelling until you realise it has an inverted motherboard. A TB3 hub is rather handy, especially if you are planning to do some VR as you should.

7. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Yea... Zephryus is almost everything I wanted if only it had tb3 and power in from the back.

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How much height did they really shave off by soldering the CPU and GPU? The 51M doesn't look too bulky. The m15 still has internal space to spare (although, to be fair, not much). They actually offer DGFF cards (but still BGA?) in their thin Precision line, about the same dimensions as the m15/m17.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 2:59 AM
  9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did the repasting with conductonaut. At the end I was unable to set up a foam dam as even the softest foam I had was not soft enough and the contact with the heatsink was affected by it. I used two layers of conforming silicone and another two layers of Kapton tape and put some old ultra thick EK paste that I had around as somekind of dam. I kept the Phobya Nanogrease in the GPU as the heatsink or the die is not as flat as the CPU and anyway, my RTX 2060 runs pretty cool (compared with the CPU).

I get around 12C and now all the cores are really close to each other, most of the time within 1C or 2C. Cinebench R20 is giving me around 3180 and all cores are around 71C after some runs, all of them at 40x for the full benchmark. Ambient temperature is around 26C, so I pretty happy. Let's pray to the liquid metal gods and hope it doesn't leak :D

It's pretty incredible that playing easy games (like MTG Arena) gives me an almost silent laptop running way below 50C. My delidded water cooled Ivy Bridge 3770K@4.8Ghz is looking to the tube of Conductonaut with envy ... it is already below 70C under mprime maximum heat, but I think I'm going to try. The problem is that the mainboard is vertical, but the clamps of the waterblock are going to do much better at compressing the foam.

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well done! Fortune favours the brave. I still have my Phobya repaste in the pipeline - curious to see how it will fare against LM.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 7:49 AM