*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Eoghan

Eoghan Newbie

Reputations:
    This has been an ongoing issue with many of the new m15's being received. Many are posting the same issue with the Windows OS install not activating correctly - fresh install fixes it.

2. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Someone should post a guide how to do this easily, I bought windows pro, wonder if that affects anything

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Should I be worried about it reporting as a 1070 and not a 1070 max q?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. NeWCuLTKiNG

Reputations:
    Well it is easy but Dell made it difficult by not having all drivers and programs together. I left everything on the USB drive ready for the next one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5. Eoghan

Eoghan Newbie

Reputations:
    You should install the nVidia GeForce Experience app and have it load the necessary GPU drivers - keeps them up to date and sets the baseline requirements for each installed game. I never use the stand alone gpu drivers from the Dell site.

6. NeWCuLTKiNG

Reputations:
    That's what I tried and they wouldn't install it said install failed no compatible device. I noticed I couldn't get Alienware Control center to launch until I installed nvidia experience

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  7. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have to admit i did it have issues activating windows as well during setup, it wouldnt activate despite being connected to the net. i skipped activation , but later on i was having issues surfing the net on certain websites which was strange. it felt like , they were being blocked by some sort of software/firewall issue because i could get to the website then subsequently i was blocked.

i decided to reset the laptop to default and started again. i only manage to activate the 2nd time round when i had the ethernet plugged in, not on wifi. Now i've run into the same problem again of certain sites just not loading up. Really don't know what is going on. turned off all firewalls, smart screen but still can't get to a reputable website that every other device on my network can access.

as for the alienware control centre. i can't seem to click on the fx button. and it is asking to do an update but when i do that , it asks to sign into microsoft wtf . why do i need to sign into my microsoft account to update the alienware control centre ??

Redteam likes this.
  8. NeWCuLTKiNG

Reputations:
    I had this issue as well. I installed killer control center to fix the web pages. Of course I had to do it on a different computer. As for the microsoft login, it's trying to add the app from the microsoft store but of course you can't get there until your web pages are fixed. As stated the problems just kept creeping in until I did a full clean install. windows activated right away just be sure you have all drivers listed, killer performance suite(killer control panel and drivers), alienware control center, nvidia experience, support assistant. Now that I think of it I haven't tried graphics amp, better find the drivers for them also.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Redteam likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You Should use dell drivers not Nvidia. Dellienware does not use the standard driver, cause if you check the driver dates, you would notice that dell it's drivers are not even present on the Nvidia website. That's due the fact that Dell customizes it's drivers and that's the reason why they make drivers in the first place. If you manufacturer has no drivers, then you should download the nvidia drivers, else it's going to produce a lot of problems when gaming or just normal usage.

10. raiden87

raiden87 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, but this is ********... the only thing they customize is the device id inside the inf-file. There was a time where it was necessary to use those drivers, but those times are over! I always use the nvidia drivers since the m17x r4 and never had any issue.
    U even need newer drivers for some games to work correctly.

MogRules and dreamcat4 like this.