*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. redmop

redmop Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    People that will buy Alienware because it is an Alienware.

2. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Anyone have a problem with dust getting stuck in the faux grill above the keyboard? How do you guys clean it out. My laptop is about 6 weeks old and I already have quite a few specks of dust stuck in there.

3. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    ehehe got that! i use a soaked microfiber cloth to clean it of (first world problems) ;)

4. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The wifi is a daughterboard. They could adjust the design to an M2 slot pretty easily. Ram, that's an issue but if they at least offered 32Gb as an option probably that'd be a start. Frankly at the rate the 51m's die off, and they do, you have to ask yourself just how much you want the additional power for the risks. As for the "ancient" wifi card they are using, it really seems like an internal hardware change is imminent. The M15 best models only come in white. Now the white might be a nice color but that seems strange. Using a several year old wifi card with BT 4.2? That's odd too. No offering of 32Gb, even though chips exist to give 32? Again, odd. And there is no 4K panel for the M17r2. I suspect that is limited the same way the 51m is limited in that no one makes a panel that fits. But for the 51m we are told one is forthcoming. If it is the same chassis parameters that same panel would go with the M17r2 as well.

I have a feeling the guts of this current machine are a first revision. Outdated parts, but new CPU's and a lot of restricted formats and colors (not a full range available). I'm of the mind that some of these elements are due to change, fairly soon and they only have a limited run of these available right now. For example why would they have gone with the 9th gen mobile chips and not updated to the AX200? We'll see in a few months if this changes or this has been moved to be the "Walmart" version of a gaming pc, cookie cutter guts with a flashy case delivered to every box store in existence.

5. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm having issues with the brightness control. It is not working, and I've tried all the many options I've found googling for it without success. Could anybody that has it working export the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

And send it to me? Thanks!

6. attax92

attax92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

maybe I have a problem with battery draw. My battery lasts about 2 hours. When I got the notebook the battery lasts 4 - 5 hours. With the battery bar program I see an consumption of around 30Wh. I think this is to much. Taskmanager says 1-5 % workload at 1-2 Ghz. HWmonitor says that the CPU draws about 10 Watt. I think this is normal. (lowest brightness Wifi on/Bluetooth of).

What is not normal is the Nvidia graphics card. When I start Msi Afterburner, the grafics card turns on and off the whole time. This is my first optimus notebook, is this behaviour normal?

Maybe somone knows if this is normal, or what the problem is?

7. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    My m15 does not seem to be going to sleep as it should, I close the hinge and the laptop goes to sleep but for the last few days whenever I get back home from work I've noticed the fan is on and sometimes the battery has drained to under 5% and the laptop has shutdown. I'm on bios 1.4.1 any ideas what's waking it up?

8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've noticed this behavior when any of the following is true
    1. MSI afterburner is running (seems to be constantly polling gpu)
    2. Alienware command center is open (constantly polls gpu)
    3. Check Nvidia control panel to make sure programs like chrome use integrated gpu vs Nvidia gpu

I eventually found some windows process had Nvidia gpu selected for it's process. Had to add it to Nvidia control panel and make sure integrated Intel was selected.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use TaskScheduler to kill Afterburner when laptop goes on battery, and start it when AC power is back.

Use TS to set Speedshift to 180-196. Can also disable Turbo.
    I once managed to get total system draw to 8W, but nowadays it's 13-20W on the latest BIOS.

FXi likes this.
  10. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just FYI, the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1080 TI (in the AMP) work together without problems to give me a total 43594 LuxMarks when running on both NVIDIA plus the Intel 630.

FXi and etern4l like this.