*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Both get hot out of the box without the change of thermal paste and optimizing everything. Its the nature of thin laptop unfortunately. So for not it comes to preference. Which would you prefer? The M15 with multiple drive bays for SSD's, a numpad etc or do you prefer the Blade.

2. dreamcat4

dreamcat4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Realize that the thermal paste should generally be replaced every 1 or 2 years. Or even sooner, depending upon the paste.

Perhaps the blade seems to be more hassle to do that specific job on. I'm not sure. But so long as you don't break anything.

For ordering spare parts OOW, and just general after sale service I would say that dell are probably the same, or 'somewhat' better? Than the company razer. But if you ask me I believe that razer's biggest drawback seems to be the quality control. At least if you at the build quality of their other products. It's earned them a bad reputation. But the same can also be said of previous revisions of the 'full sized' alienware laptops. So if you were to give the m15 the benefit of the doubt for not carrying that over to their newest product. I suppose you should be doing the same for the 2018 blade 15.

After having 24x units of the previous blade 14 predecessor. Linus (LTT) released a video showing the shocking large number of bad units. It was really horrendous. So either they repeated that with the new model or they didn't. I think Linus probably had more enough of them by that point though.

Hmm. So where does that leave you? Well I would say:

Try to handle an m15 in person. They should not be that difficult to find out there in the wild. If the larger size is a deal breaker for you.... then it's a deal breaker for you. And you have no option / choice to make there anyhow.

Clearly both of these models are still far too new to develope comprehensive picture of reliability / faults yet. That would take another 1-2 years. Especially more time needed in razer's case* because they will shift substantially fewer units than the m15 will.

* remembering that many of Linus' failed units did not devople a fault until some significant time later. After weeks / months of employee usage.

3. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had the blade and the fans are loud as hell.

4. fireball99

fireball99 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    got mine last wk.. ran a few benchmarks stock:

cinebench r15 - 1210.... after 5 runs still ~1205

3dmark with dell driver
    timespy-5177
    firestrike 13794

geekbench 4.3.1 tryout mode
    opencl intelgpu-37737
    opencl nvidia -140614

runs fairly hot out of the box with hwinfo reporting up to 98C on some cores
    will do some more testing in the next couple of days

5. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys. Been following this for a bit. Would like to know if anyone knows anything about the smaller versions?
    I can’t be having a numpad. Had the left the keyboard like the r3/r4 my only complaint would be the dedicated mouse buttons.
    Any news or we having to wait till new year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. evilras

evilras Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As far as the news coming from Alienware this basically replaces the m13 in the line up as the defacto "small" laptop. So it's this or the m15x right now.

sisqo_uk likes this.
  7. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I got mine yesterday and wouldn't you know. Windows was messed. Wouldn't activate and then it wouldn't update. Not sure if anyone else had the issue of web pages not showing, windows store no connection. After a fresh windows install from USB to a 970 evo installing available drivers web pages still wouldn't load from Dell or Google. Seemed to be any secure page. Luckily I had my 17r3 with me. Ended up having to install Killer Control panel. Then I dug up the new Alienware Control panel. Then I was on to installing Nvidia drivers. The newest drivers failed to install. I downloaded Dell Nvidia drivers. Now it says I have a GTX 1070 and it dropped the max q. It was the end of my shift so I left off there and will get back to it tonight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Redteam likes this.
  8. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh noes, should start reporting these issues to dell or frank on Twitter... Quite concerning. Did you get regular windows or windows pro?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Eoghan

Eoghan Newbie

Reputations:
    The R13 OLED has been discontinued for a while know, just selling out remaining stock. Yes, the m15 will be the new entry point for the Alienware laptop lineup, along with a forthcoming m17 and some new CPU/GPU options for the m15.

10. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It was regular. There are many other reports of the same thing on reddit. This unit is for my wife and mine will be arriving Tuesday. Hopefully I don't have the same issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk