*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I use the AGA and I also see all three GPUs available. I don't have issues with GSYNC though.

etern4l likes this.
  2. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It is a 4K 60Hz panel. For hardcore gaming I use the AGA connected to dual 27" GSYNC 144Hz screen. I would say that 4K is too much for a 15", if I leave it at 100% scaling my eyes are not good enough. Said that, all graphics elements are as smooth as you can imagine :) I'm starting to agree with a friend that said that 4K has more resolution than real life, it is only useful for rendered content :D

Yep, mine is also working fine, it seems that Windows was installing the graphic drivers for the 1080Ti, because now I get GSYNC with 3 GPUs active. That's pretty amazing, I need to do some tests with all of them in use, like playing on the AGA while using the 2060 for some CUDA task. I imagine things like 3D rendering with multiple GPUs on a laptop ... let's see.

etern4l likes this.
  3. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It seems that Dell is doing better with the pads, in fact too much better. As you can see in the photo all the RAM chips and the VRMs of the GPU are not even touching the pads (no marks in them), those pads are thinner than 0.5mm The pads that are touching are around 1mm think, and it seems the right thickness. I've ordered fujipoly xr-m 1mm for those and 0.5mm to replace the thinner one, should be here today. I will use Phobya Extreme on both CPU and GPU and come back with more temps :)

Yep, the Samsung EVO 4TB is arriving Tomorrow, once I move my two 2TB NVME from the 13R3 to this one ... 8TB of solid state storage, I think I will be able to throw away my NAS (not really :)

etern4l likes this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had the same feeling about the 0.5mm ish pads around the GPU but seem to have gotten some minimal contact after replacing all pads with much softer Gelids. One of these days I will reopen to repaste with Phobya NGE and to see what's up. Curious how doubling the thickness of the VRM pads works out for you, do let us know.

Just for the record: which driver(s) worked fine for you in the end?

5. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Installed the Fujipoly and the Phobya, temps are now between 75 and 85 depending on the core, Cinebench jumped to 3100, it runs at 3998Mhz the full test. It idles at around 45C. I suppose that the grease will not get much worse than this once it settles, in fact it should, if any, improve. All temperatures are without any cooling pad, although I have the laptop back on top of a small cardboard box for improving the airflow. At the end pretty happy here, only complain, it will take time to get used to the new full keyboard, searching for the cursor keys and pressing enter is not fun :D

I didn't install anything, whatever driver I tried seems to be incompatible with the m15. In fact it seems that AGA support is included in the Command Center, as there are many files around it with suspicious names. The problems with GSYNC were probably because Windows 10 will detect the new card and install proper NVIDIA drivers, until it happened I was running the generic VESA provided by Windows, that doesn't support GSYNC.

etern4l likes this.
  6. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got mine back from support on Thursday. They "couldn't reproduce" the fan grinding noise, or overheating. Guess the fan shaped marks on the case when I removed the heatsink to try to tighten the fans, and the multiple times I've shown them my FPS dip when the CPU hits 103C are irrelevant.

Anyway, they put me on 1.6.1, so I figured I'd try 2.1.1, as I'm done dealing with this pile of crap, and will be spending my week trying to get a 15 R4 or Aurora replacement, or just selling it off. Quiet isn't as good as 1.4.1, but it is better than 1.6.1. It will turn fans off below about 40C, so basically only on battery, or if you have really good thermals.

etern4l likes this.
  7. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't install the Nvidia from windows store. It starts download but doesn't actually download anything. Anyone have a solution?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

8. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    More data points, running mprime maximum heat L1/L2/L3 torture test with just one thread and pinning it to a single core, dissipates 20W and oscillates between 4.4 and 4.5Ghz with temp around 68C. Running Cinebench single threaded with the same pinning gave me 440 pts, dissipating around 15W and temps around 66C, also running between 4.4 and 4.5 with some downclocks to 4 in between.

Also it seems that the thermal paste is settling quickly (all that benchmarking probably helps :)), now this thing idles at 38C and the fans are totally quiet!

Edit: not totally silent, you need to listen close to the laptop exhaust and you'll hear it, but they are really really quiet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Some GPU tests: easily overclocked the RTX 2060 to +225 core +300 mem for a 6602 graphics Time Spy score. Temps always under 75C, most of the time in the high 60s.

One "problem". after watching YouTube's Costa Rica 4K 60fps HDR video in the m15 OLED 4K screen, well ..., I have two 27" TN for sale :( this thing totally spoiled me

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    c69k and etern4l like this.
  10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Idle seems a bit high (probably wasn't really idle) but great temps overall. BTW How thick were the pads you ended up using around the GPU?

Sounds like I should try 2.1.1.
    What do you mean by "the Nvidia from Windows store"?
    My GPU is 67C tops at 24C ambient, but that could be due to the Max-Q design or different die size I guess.

Glad you are enjoying your OLED. 4K at 15" is not for me, but hopefully they will come up with lower res panels at some point, and hopefully there will be no burn-in issues within 2-3 years time-span of desktop use (and indeed I haven't seen any complaints from AW13 users).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    c69k likes this.