*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Do you know that there are people with powerful desktop towers that, for several reasons, ex. work, do travel a lot and need something portable to game around when away from home? I do that for example. At home? i just use my desktop, i switch on my gaming laptop only for updates, re-paste if needed, download the games that i will be using when i will be >2 month away from home and then i stop using it until back for travel & work. That's my personal case of course, i take 8 planes each 2 months to go back and forth from home to work. I need something lightweight and thin, well knowing the downside and without high expectation for how they perform, but overall happy, because at the end of the day, they serve their purpose. Gaming and making me relax after an hard day at work, unfortunately really far away from my wife and daughter at home

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My friends always ask how do you manage to carry bigger gaming laptop when we're happy with Thin 'n' Light gaming laptops? I could only laugh after showing their thermals versus mine which are above 80C on older games thanks to best applied thermal paste by OEMs.

pathfindercod and etern4l like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ignore list is bliss :)

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would just ignore attempts at derailing the discussion into the desktop vs laptop flame war (which is pointless for the reasons you mentioned alone), however, there is def a use case for a portable gaming laptop with a good battery life. The thing is it needn't be thin at all costs. They are not in competition with Lenovo Yoga or Macbook Air!

The design should prioritise battery life, cooling (lo and behold the AW 15 didn't need to have CPU fan running all the time!), storage capacity and performance, while keeping it all within reasonably portable chassis. I don't know why they killed off AW15, and this happened on Azor's watch. While I'm happy with my m15 after tuning, I'd take an AW 15 with a larger battery, better cooling, and even more storage space any day.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    CptXabaras and Rei Fukai like this.
  5. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’m thin light gaming laptops fan, and I make that as well. I travel for work EU Asia, probably will stay in Japan again. Don’t have time building laptop tower, repasting, delidding etc, I buy expensive one and use as it’s, 5 minutes software tweak Okay.
    PC owners mostly say build powerful desktop buy cheap laptop and for gaming on go buy switch. I did short course by buying good portable gaming laptop, personally I only see laptop if it’s weight max 2,5kg more compact is preferred over that i translates it a desktop replacement:)

6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No point arguing really, different people have different needs and wants, there isn’t really a right or wrong in preferences. Some want thin and light that’s very portable that’s just good enough to play their games at respectable FPS and others want every ounce of performance and don’t mind some heft. It’s great that there options to suite everybody across vendors on the PC space.

Having said that, it’s kinda lame (my opinion) when RAM/WiFi card slot take barely any space and are removed, though I’m sure other than the relatively small enthusiast community like us people in this forum they won’t take a hit as few people upgrade parts unfortunately. I hope since the most vocal people are the small enthusiast community they back track on soldered RAM/WiFi on an updated version.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
    FXi and Vasudev like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Reminded me of how not very long ago many experts predicted that PC gaming is just for a small group of enthusiasts and will be wiped out by consoles. Turns out there are a lot more enthusiasts than people had thought!

I bet most non-enthusiasts never heard of Alienware, nor do they care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
    Aivxtla and CptXabaras like this.
  8. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    The great majority of people i know when they see my laptop actually ask about what brand is it, since they don't know, indeed

Aivxtla and etern4l like this.
  9. fedeghela

fedeghela Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,I’m here to thank you of the big effort you made doing this.
    And also it seems that is all working fine in my laptop.
    Only one question,my default bios setting in SATA operations is RAID and I change it to AHCI before the restore,is correct?
    Thanks again

10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So guys I have an issue. I can't update my thunderbolt 3 drivers. Whenever I try to update it says it cannot find the setup.exe to uninstall it. I used CCleaner to try to uninstall it too but it didnt work and gave me the same error message. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk